ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

AE hates InDesign

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aaron Kiersky
AE hates InDesign
on Apr 8, 2010 at 11:52:53 am

Maybe hate is a strong word, but what's the deal with not being able to copy from indesign straight into after effects?

If I copy some indesign bits, when I switch to ae, it give a warning about turning on AICB in the illustrator prefs. However, it's not an option in indesign.

I can copy from ind to illustrator, then to ae, but it dosn't always work with all objects. it would be great if I could import the entire indesign doc, with pages turned to comps.

anybody know of a solution?

thanks,
ak

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: AE hates InDesign
on Apr 8, 2010 at 12:53:02 pm

Just make a file in InDesign and import it into AE. As long as you maintain the same number of layers in InDesign, you can always use the Edit Original command in AE to make changes.

InDesign and Illustrator make images that DON'T move.
After Effects makes images that DO move.

Do you think that because of that simple fact, there just might be a few fundamental differences in the software that preclude you from doing what you seek?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Aaron Kiersky
on Apr 8, 2010 at 1:06:41 pm

Hey dave,
thanks for the quick response. no dice on the importing .indd files to ae, I can do a pdf, but that imports as a single layer file, not allowing me to get at the individual elements. Even if I can't directly import the document, it seems like I should be able to copy and paste from one to the other.

Software creation is a crazy beast I know, but it seems like if some of adobe's programs work so well together, why is basic copy and pasting of vector art not a global standard?

I realize that id and ai are not designed for motion, try and tell that to the designers that hand off files to me. :)

thanks again,
ak

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 8, 2010 at 1:27:21 pm

[Aaron Kiersky] "I realize that id and ai are not designed for motion, try and tell that to the designers that hand off files to me. :) "

Do what I'd do -- play the part of the Exasperated Artiste who's had it with the designers' ignorance, and throw a snit!

"Why can't you get it through your thick skulls that this is MOTION! This is ANIMATION, and not simply some static image! You're stifling me creatively! There are other design requirements besides your oh-so-crude notions of how to do your work! If you expect me to bring your work to life, the VERY LEAST you can do is give it to me in a file form that will allow me to do so!"

Then fling the dangling portion of your feather boa back around your neck and stomp off in a huff.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Aaron Kiersky
on Apr 8, 2010 at 1:35:38 pm

ha ha ha, it sounds like you have practiced that a few times dave!

thanks,
ak

Return to posts index

Steve Roberts
on Apr 8, 2010 at 1:46:37 pm

(Hey Dave, can you 'shop a feather boa over your profile pic?)

Aaron, can the bozos in the design department make multiple PDFs, one for each desired layer? Make 'em work for their dollar.

Return to posts index

Alasdair Hall
on Feb 17, 2012 at 7:05:11 am

hey just a question was wondering is you or anyone else could help me out. I have to make an interactive display in my graphic design course at seneca college. I am making a promo interface for a musician in indesign, and we are allowed to use the animation features that indesign has(though i am not an expert in that yet and do not really know how it works) what i wanted to do is create a really sexy waveform/spectrum animation in after effects. and have it in the background of my interface. Is this possible? if so any ideas how? would be very much apreciated

Return to posts index

Aaron Kiersky
on Feb 17, 2012 at 2:44:23 pm

Hi Alasdair,

First of all, this is a pretty old thread you dug up, and your question doesn't really even relate to the original question. So I would post the same question in the InDesign forum.

That said, to answer your question, It sounds like if you want to create a simulated interface After Effects is a much better option to give it the life of an interactive application. InDesign does have options to add video to pages, but I'm not sure it is going to work the way you are wanting.

From my experience videos in indesign work similarly to on ios devices, you get a poster frame, click play, then it plays on the top layer, over other objects.

But, new features are added all the time, and I have never attempted what you are trying. A quick google search came up with these two articles that may be helpful:
http://indesignsecrets.com/how-to-get-animations-to-work-in-pdf-working-tit...
and
http://indesignsecrets.com/bringing-animation-from-indesign-cs5-into-a-pdf-...

good luck!
ak

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]