ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Animating Lens Blur

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ben rollasonAnimating Lens Blur
by on Apr 8, 2010 at 8:49:02 am

Hi there,

I've just come back to an age old problem.... Namely animating the Lens Blur effect. However you do it; animating the depth matte, animating the aperture size, 8-bit, 32-bit.... whatever..... it seems to increase the blur in discreet and obvious jumps. In other words it's not smooth.

Does anyone know of any workaround for this or is the only solution an expensive one? i.e. Frischluft Lenscare?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Animating Lens Blur
by on Apr 8, 2010 at 12:47:38 pm

Have you tried using Bezier keyframes and not linear keyframes? Have you tried modifying the property's value over time in the Graph Editor?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

ben rollasonRe: Animating Lens Blur
by on Apr 8, 2010 at 1:27:03 pm

I've tried most things. At higher blur values, the blur moves in discreet steps... it will hold the same frame for four or five frames and then change. And this regardless of whether you use keyframes, linear, eased, continuous or use a smoothly changing depth matte layer in 8, 16 or 32 bit.

For instance, animating the Blur Focal Distance without using a depth matte in 16 bit, the property's value on frames 2,3,4,5 are 20580, 20797, 21015, 21232 respectively - a uniform change of 218 per frame. Yet frames 2,3,4 are identical and 5 is suddenly different.

I think there's something kooky with the maths inside the plug-in.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved