ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Window reflection distort

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
frank nadalWindow reflection distort
by on Apr 7, 2010 at 10:32:56 pm

I'm a beginner in After Effects so please bear with me.

I'd like to create a distorted reflection, kind of like when you look at a reflection from a window.

For example. I have a picture of a building with mirrored windows exterior. In front of the building, I have a spaceship ascending into the air. I'd like for the building to reflect a slightly distorted image of the ship upon ascention, without distorting the windows on the building.

I tried an Alpha Track Matte, with a solid and adjustment layer (distorting the adjustment layer). It's pretty close to what I want but it distorts the building. If I place a warp or ripple affect on the spaceship, it doesn't have the proper reflection effect when the ship ascends.

Any ideas? Many thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Erik WaluskaRe: Window reflection distort
by on Apr 8, 2010 at 12:14:37 am

Could you post some images of your scene and timeline?

Return to posts index

frank nadalRe: Window reflection distort
by on Apr 8, 2010 at 12:49:36 am

Kind of like this affect. See, the building is clear but the reflected image is distorted. So if a car moved in front of the building, the reflection would be distorted while it moved by the building.

Return to posts index

Tudor JelescuRe: Window reflection distort
by on Apr 8, 2010 at 7:34:58 am

Create a matte for the windows only.
Comp the building on top of itself, using this matte.
Sandwich in between the animation of the ship (if it's a mirrored shape like ship you can get away with the same animation, if not, then you would need to render out the same 3d ship animation from the opposite side, so you can get the right reflection)and distort with warp or bezier. You can get pretty complex and layer out the reflection on groups of windows and offsetting the position of the ship so that it will look broken like the still you posted.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved