ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Nested Comp Timeline Sync

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe CarpenterNested Comp Timeline Sync
by on Apr 7, 2010 at 5:42:34 am

I have a project with multiple nested comps. The issue I am incountering is that such comps timelines wont sync. This issue just happend out of the blue. All comps timeline were insync before. The Syncronize nested comp option is turned on. However the option does not seem to do anything. I tried dumping AE Prefs, and even importing the Project into a new one. I am out of options and in a complete time cruch. please help !!!!

Return to posts index

Tudor JelescuRe: Nested Comp Timeline Sync
by on Apr 7, 2010 at 4:59:24 pm

I had to deal with a similar situation- I got no quick fix, just open dual view and manually sync the timelines. I only had three nested comps to do this to...
I found this guy who had the same issue- maybe he can give you and answer since he said he found a way around it:

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Nested Comp Timeline Sync
by on Apr 7, 2010 at 5:36:30 pm

Have you played with AE Preferences lately and turned off the "Synchronize Time Of All Related Items" switch?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

ben rollasonRe: Nested Comp Timeline Sync
by on Apr 8, 2010 at 7:44:10 pm

This can also happen if you have a particular precomp used in several different compositions with different time offsets. After Effects can't synchronise the precomp with all instances of itself. Even if you have the precomp used at different levels of a nested stack, the problem can occur.

Do you find this always happens, even with precomps that are definitely only used in one place?

Return to posts index

Joe CarpenterRe: Nested Comp Timeline Sync
by on Apr 8, 2010 at 8:26:43 pm

I do not have the any comps used twice. However I did find a the fix. I had a "comp A" that in the the master comp was out of place one frame. This placed "comp A" to start at -1 in the timeline. For some reason this cause the entire Project to become out of sync.

As a side note I found it absurd that Adobe wont give support for CS3. After 40 min on the phone setting up support info, and giving them all the specs twice. only to finally get to a tech person only for them to tell me they wont give support on CS3, and that I need to find help else where.

Return to posts index

Andrew DaviesRe: Nested Comp Timeline Sync
by on Jul 8, 2010 at 7:28:00 pm

I've been having the same problem and figured out a sort of hack to fix the symptoms.
I noticed that my comps would sync fine, then once I copy a layer from the master comp and paste it into the "inner" comp, things get busted. So, I copy and paste all the layers from my inner comp into a new comp with identical settings, then replace the original that's in the master comp with this new comp, things sync fine again.

Hope that helps.

Return to posts index

Andy SappRe: Nested Comp Timeline Sync
by on Nov 17, 2010 at 5:43:05 am

This just happened to me, and the culprit was a second instance of a nested comp that I had split. I couldn't figure it out for the life of me... but after reading this, I tried deleting that split layer, and now the sync is back to normal.

Return to posts index

Sean VicaryRe: Nested Comp Timeline Sync
by on Apr 17, 2014 at 11:26:37 am

Hurrah for this old thread, just been beating my brains out all morning trying to fix this. Been using duik tools to animate IK pre-comped characters in 5.5, suddenly everything just went out of sync - but all relative, as if AE was adding a fixed time offset.
Have no idea what caused it, but the fix was as detailed above:
Make a new composition with the same settings, paste the layers into it and use this in the main comp - this didn't work if you tried alt dragging the replacement from the project window into the timeline, only if you added it to the composition and then tweaked the attributes manually to match the offending pre-comp, by copying and pasting keyframes, anchor point, etc.. then deleting the original precomp.

Sean Vicary

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved