ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

transparency with lens flare

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Burns
transparency with lens flare
on Apr 6, 2010 at 3:03:38 pm

I have a comp with an object and a transparent background. I have added a lens flare but then I lose the transparency and am left with a black background. I want to bring this object into a new comp with transparency. I tried to key out the black background but it doesn't work so well. How can I add a lens flare without losing my transparency?

Thanks, Chris

Return to posts index

Alperen T. Ayhan
Re: transparency with lens flare
on Apr 6, 2010 at 3:26:29 pm

apply lens flare to a black solid, and then use blending mode; screen.. that's all..

Alperen T. AYHAN
http://www.sinamasal.com
Always cinema...

Return to posts index

Chris Burns
on Apr 6, 2010 at 3:30:12 pm

I tried that but it remains black.

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Apr 6, 2010 at 3:35:04 pm

You apply the Screen BLending Mode to the nested layer. If youapplied it to the pre-comp then either remove it and apply it on the nested layer OR leave it as it is and hit the Collapse Transformations box for the nested layer to ahve the Blending Modes come through into the nested comp.

HTH
RoRK

Sell your AEPs with broadcastGEMs' DVD series of templates. Click here for more

Return to posts index

Chris Burns
on Apr 6, 2010 at 3:41:39 pm

So don't apply the blending mode to the precomp until I bring it into the main comp? I was going to render the comp and bring it in that way or possibly bring it right into premiere that's why I was trying to get the transparency before rendering this element. I'll try bringing it into the main comp and clicking collapse transformations. Is it possible to render it with an alpha though?

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Apr 6, 2010 at 3:49:06 pm

[Chris Burns] "So don't apply the blending mode to the precomp until I bring it into the main comp?"

Both ways can work. I think I provided both methods in the previous post.

[Chris Burns] "Is it possible to render it with an alpha though?"

Yes.But take note that Premiere has the same Lens FlareFX. To create an alpha, look into using the Luminance effect. You'll then want to apply levels, both before and after the Luminance effect. The before is to crunch the blacks and the after is to enhance the bright areas.

HTH
RoRK

Return to posts index

Chris Burns
on Apr 6, 2010 at 3:55:32 pm

After bringing in the comp with the object and the lens flare to the main comp, I changed the blending mode and turned on collapse transformations and I still have no transparency. If I turn the lens flare layer off I have transparency. There must be something I'm missing. I have tint and curves applied to the lens flare layer but that should matter.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 6, 2010 at 4:52:49 pm

Why are you turning on Collapse Transformations? Maybe I missed something, but is it necessary?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Chris Burns
on Apr 6, 2010 at 5:05:29 pm

Ronald suggested it. So I tried it. Just a run down of what I've got Dave. I have a object that I have applied a lens flare to and have animated the lens flare around the object. Once I apply the lens flare I lose my transparency. I have changed the blending mode of the lens flare layer (black solid w/ lens flare applied) to screen and have also tried various other blending modes but no luck. If I turn off the lens flare layer there is transparency. Any suggestions? I'd like to render this element out to use in another project but I need the full transparency.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Apr 6, 2010 at 5:59:47 pm

Chris, let's try this again but with a nearly clean slate -

1) you've got a layer with an object
2) a second layer is a Black Solid (0,0,0 RGB values) with Lens Flare appled
3) you've done some keyframing

Let'S leave these as they are now, IOW, do not apply the Screen OR Add Blending Mode - both knock out blacks within the layer it is applied to. However, Blending Modes do not create an Alpha Channel, it just specifies how certain RGB values interact with layers stacked below.

4) Nest this comp into your 'final comp' and apply the Screen or Add Blending Mode.

Does this work?

RoRK

Return to posts index

Chris Burns
on Apr 6, 2010 at 6:11:18 pm

No such luck... that's how I have it set up right now. Precomp with several different shading layers, particular etc., few different bending modes on some layers including add for the lens flare layer, (normal hides the layers beneath the lens flare layer) brought into main comp and blending mode set to screen. Still a black background in the main comp. I go back into the pre comp and shut off the lens flare layer and then I have transparency in the main comp.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 6, 2010 at 6:26:20 pm

Are you sure you're looking at the COMP window and not a footage window?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Apr 6, 2010 at 6:37:03 pm

That's fine. Now let's step back to the precomp. Apply the Blending Mode to the Lens FLare layer. Then nest this comp into your final comp. In the 'final comp', apply Collapse Transformation to the nested comp.

Does this now work?

If it doesn't then something's amiss. And I suggest that you key out the Lens Flare layer. If you do this, Levels is important, especially Input White and Output Black settings.

Good Luck
RoRK

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Apr 6, 2010 at 6:54:48 pm

I must be losing my senses. You should be looking at using a plugin such as Xmult. Xmult will actually create an alpha channel for you when applied to your lens flare layer.

I just googled but the site is inaccessible.

Can someone else recommend a similar plugin that's free. I recall there used to be a similar plugin available FOC.

Return to posts index

Tudor Jelescu
on Apr 6, 2010 at 7:02:53 pm

This may give you a headache but it works.I just did a test to make sure I am right about it and also to clear out the steps in my head.
Here it is:
Do the Lens Flare (LF) animation on a black layer like it was suggested, using a blending mode to visualize. Once you are happy, turn the blending mode to normal.
Nest your LF layer in a comp moving all attributes.
Duplicate that. Now you have two pre-comps: LF1 and LF2
Open LF1. Add Adjustment layer. Apply Hue/Saturation and take out all saturation. Apply Levels- compress white to 211 and move gamma (midtones) to 1.49
Exit LF1 and turn visibility off (the eye)- you got a matte for LF2.
Apply Set Matte to LF2, take matte from layer pre-comp LF1, Blue channel (Red or Green do the same).
You can check the alpha of your comp and you will notice that you have a clean alpha with the Lens Flare included.
Play around with Levels in pre-comp LF1 to adjust the matte for your Lens Flare.
Get a headache pill... just kiddin'.
Hope that helps.

Ted

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
Unmult to the rescue
on Apr 6, 2010 at 7:37:45 pm

Here it is Chris -

http://redgiantsoftware.stores.yahoo.net/unmult.html

Done!

Return to posts index

ben rollason
Re: Unmult to the rescue
on Apr 8, 2010 at 8:02:33 pm

You can do an unmult in After Effects too without the need for plugins.

Precompose your lens flare layer.

Apply a Channel -> Set Matte effect to the layer with the precomposed lens flare as its source
Settings:
Take Matte From Layer: this layer itself
Use For Matte: Luminance.
(sets the alpha to luminance)

Apply a Channel -> Channel Combiner effect.
Settings:
Invert: checked.
(predivides by the matte set above)

Voila! Now the Lens Flare looks the same as it ever did, but it has a transparency based on its luminance and no nasty black double premult fringes.

Then you can use Channel -> Alpha Levels to muck about with the alpha gamma if you like. The layer can then be rendered with an alpha and used with any blending mode your heart desires!

The Channel menu is the best menu in After Effects: :)

-Ben.

vfx.benrollason.com

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Apr 9, 2010 at 2:29:32 am

Heya Ben, this sounds like you've got an excellent idea for a COW Tutorial. :)

Cheers
RoRK

Return to posts index

ben rollason
on Apr 9, 2010 at 9:41:54 am

Hi Roland,

Actually, I've been thinking of recording a tutorial about the many different tricks you can do with the channel menu. Drop me a line and let me know how I go about submitting a tut to the Cow. :)

-Ben.

vfx.benrollason.com

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Apr 9, 2010 at 4:34:58 pm

Heya Ben, you're a good man! What you have in mind sounds interesting. It'll be doubly good if you include the "why" as well as the required "how". I'm already looking forward to it.

For contact, you'll want to get in touch with Kathlyn on the following link - http://www.creativecow.net/contact_us.php

The link is actually at the top right of most of te pages at the COW.

Cheers
RoRK

Return to posts index

Greg Platt
on Aug 11, 2010 at 8:12:40 pm

You're a life saver Ben- that's exactly the technique I was just looking for. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Jang Sunday
on Oct 11, 2013 at 11:44:39 am

Hi Ben,

Can you help me? i have the same problem but in Photoshop :(

Thanks a lot!

Return to posts index

rostilen callo
on Jan 14, 2011 at 12:26:59 pm

i'm using CS4. I don't know if other versions have it but I just choose Screen Blend Mode and then click on the box below the T Column. It's in between Blend Mode and TrkMat columns.

Return to posts index

Brad Schimanski
on Feb 18, 2014 at 1:01:07 pm

found this on a neighbouring site: works a charm and far easier than some of the options below.
http://www.damonledet.com/2008/06/after-effects-lens-flare-with-transparent...

Step one: Create a solid and add the lens Flare filter to it, get the lens flare just how you would like it and duplicate the solid.
Step two: Set the bottom solid to use the top solid as a track matte (Luma Matte)

That’s it transparent lens flare.

there was a bit more too it but thats all you need.

hope it helps

Brad

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]