ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

AE camera match move mayhem

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
john titorAE camera match move mayhem
by on Apr 6, 2010 at 1:18:18 pm

Hi, I have green screen footage which I want to match with the animation I have for a virtual camera from a maya scene. I've tried using locators, baking the animation but to no avail, in that while the baked anim in the .ma file is fine, the camera node doesn't move at all in AE. I'm using a shaker script to make the camera anim a bit jerky like in real life, so it may be something to do with this. I've done a test with just one ordinary camera and one locator, and the camera moves although I cant see through it in AE to see the null object move with respect to the camera, so I'm stuck with this particular method of match moving. The effect I want to achieve is to have the green screen footage move in tandem with the animation of the virtual camera, but I really am at a loss how to do this.

Return to posts index

Tudor Jelescusee if this works
by on Apr 6, 2010 at 6:11:52 pm

I got this same issue with camera tracking data from Boujou-export for maya (cam data for maya) brought in AE, so I think it should work the same with cam data export straight from maya. For some reason I had to copy the data from the import and paste it to a new camera (or node) and then it worked- hope it does the trick for you.

Ted

Return to posts index

john titorRe: see if this works
by on Apr 7, 2010 at 1:00:34 pm

how do I access the camera data?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: AE camera match move mayhem
by on Apr 7, 2010 at 5:27:41 pm

It sounds like this green screen stuff is shot already. Why don't you just pull the key, add the footage to Maya and be done with it?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

john titorRe: AE camera match move mayhem
by on Apr 7, 2010 at 8:40:38 pm

thanks for the tutorial, I've experimented with the locators, set both the ma file and comp to have the same resolution etc butthe locators are huge in AE, bigger than the comp screen. Basically in the maya scene I have four locators placed at each of the windows in the building for the gs footage to be placed but they don't really match with the camera movements. They scale out of sync with the zooms.

In relation to "pulling the key", do you mean to take the camera data from the gs footage and match the camera movements in maya to it?

Return to posts index

by on Apr 7, 2010 at 11:31:22 pm

Was wondering is it possible to track the cg footage layer in AE and parent the gs footage to the cg layer? I remember seeing this once but can't remember how to do it or if its even applicable in this instance.

Return to posts index

Tudor JelescuRe: AE camera match move mayhem
by on Apr 8, 2010 at 7:14:52 am

I may not understand your problem correctly, but it seems that you have some green screen footage that you want to place in window frames, on 3d buildings in maya- if so, Dave suggested you bring in the gs footage in maya, place it in it's proper place and then render out from maya... that's pretty straightforward, unless that's not your problem..

Return to posts index

by on Apr 8, 2010 at 3:04:03 pm

that works! I had tried this solution 4 days ago but the image sequence wouldn't run because off the naming convention mismatch between AE and Maya for iff sequences. Thanks for all the help, much appreciated.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]