ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

After Effects Rendering Glitch?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Remington Markham
After Effects Rendering Glitch?
on Apr 5, 2010 at 11:02:33 pm

Hi I posted a similar question a few days ago and tried everyones suggestions and had no luck. I decided to upload a video to help people identify this glitch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynuIkDx950w

Happens in the second half when his arm starts jittering, its jumping to random frames?

Any clues as to why it is happening or how I can fix it? It's random and all still frames are fine, the video footage play's fine before I render it.

I'm using CS4 on Windows 7.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: After Effects Rendering Glitch?
on Apr 5, 2010 at 11:25:24 pm

Could you be rendering with Open GL, which is pretty useless? Could it be that you didn't install the free AE 9.0.2 upgrade?

And my personal suspicion... could it be your footage?

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, AVCHD, mp4, mts, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Brij nandan
on Apr 6, 2010 at 7:54:04 am

Hello sir,
I am a student of multimedia in India.
I probably use raw footage(avi-mpeg2) in after effects cs3 and i have also faced this glitching problem. But i have not any problem with quicktime movies.
so i want to know which formats are good to import in after effects?

Well, i used to render my output in avi(xvid mpeg4) format and i found that this is highly compressed and good quality format.
Is this compression good for output for general purpose?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 6, 2010 at 4:57:07 pm

[Brij nandan] "i used to render my output in avi(xvid mpeg4) format and i found that this is highly compressed and good quality format.
Is this compression good for output for general purpose?"

Dave's Stock Answer #3:

Don't use AE to compress files for final delivery. The various compressors are there only to make quick 'n dirty files showing a project's progress to producers, clients, the kids, etc. AE is incapable of doing multipass encoding, a crucial feature that greatly improves the image quality of H.264 and MPEG-type files in particular.

Render a high-quality file from AE, and use a different application to do the compression. Popular ones are Adobe Media Encoder, Sorenson Squeeze and Apple's Compressor, which comes bundled with Final Cut Suite. Even compressing in Quicktime Pro is better than compressing in AE.

Making good-looking compressed files is almost as much an art as it is a science. It is NOT straightforward at all. I recommend asking a few questions at the COW's Compression Techniques forum.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Apr 6, 2010 at 7:51:27 pm

To expand on Dave's response, not only do you want to avoid using AE for final compression, you should also avoid using compressed media (such as your Xvid AVIs) for subsequent compressions (like MPEG2 for DVD, H264 for web, etc.).

It's really best to start with a lossless render and handle all your subsequent compression jobs from that original.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Andrew Brown
on May 25, 2013 at 7:53:25 pm

Replying to an ancient post in case somebody else finds this useful;

I was haunted by the same problem, in ever-increasing degrees, for a long time. Render glitches persisted, irregardless of the source material for the projects; different video footage, generated purely in AE, etc. People more knowledgeable than me suggested the following, which I did:

Render to a hard drive, not an external drive
Make sure there is ample space on that hard drive
Set AE to clear the cache every set number of frames during renders
Check your OpenGL settings
Etc., etc.

Nothing worked. The thing that finally solved the problem was switching from rendering .MOV files in animation codec, to rendering .MOV files in PNG codec. Hundreds of renders later, and glitch-free.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]