ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Garbled Basic Quicktime Footage!

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeremiah Belt
Garbled Basic Quicktime Footage!
on Apr 5, 2010 at 8:12:06 pm

I recently wiped my system and reinstalled everything to get back to a clean slate. In the middle of deadlines and I run into this lovely issue that I can't think of a resolution other then uninstall the Adobe Suite and try again. Exporting a 10bit uncompressed 4.2.2 quicktime or 8bit out of Final Cut using the default Final Cut settings, when imported into After Effects I get a garbled looking clip!? I have attached a screen shot below. The file is fine and opens fine in Quicktime and Final Cut. AE is set to Full rez and any and all interpretation settings for the footage file or project do not change the garbled quicktime reading of AE. If I export out and compress the file to ProRes or some inferior compressed format it comes in fine. I have used this workflow and uncompressed 10bit for years...so this is entirely a new and odd issue. Any ideas or solutions would be greatly appreciated. Thx.

Return to posts index

Jeremiah Belt
Re: Garbled Basic Quicktime Footage!
on Apr 6, 2010 at 6:31:57 am

To Clarify...basically any Uncompressed export from Final Cut opens like the above when imported into After Effects. Please Help!!?

Return to posts index

Jeremiah Belt
on Apr 6, 2010 at 6:33:59 am

I'm starting to wonder if CS3 is just to old. I have the latest version of Snow Leopard and Final Cut Studio 3 fully updated. Is this a incompatibility?

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Apr 6, 2010 at 12:52:33 pm

Any issues when viewed on QT Player?

Sell your AEPs with broadcastGEMs' DVD series of templates. Click here for more

Return to posts index

Jeremiah Belt
on Apr 6, 2010 at 3:16:34 pm

Nope, all files play perfect in everything else but look like this in After Effects. I'm starting to think there was a recent update to Final Cut that maybe screwed with some codecs and now is making my good old CS3 After Effects freak. Or it's a ploy from Adobe to make me buy CS5 shortly. hehe The odd thing is that even opening commercials that were rendered in Uncompressed 10bit from Final Cut a year ago, and that were actually built in After Effects, do the same distorted thing. I re-installed both After Effects, Premiere Pro, and Encore last night instead of wiping the whole suite out. Didn't fix a thing. I'm at a complete loss. So now everytime I need to get footage into my comp I have to convert it to a ProRes format...and not every format works twice! It's really annoying.

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Apr 6, 2010 at 3:28:47 pm

It could also be a ploy by Apple to force you into using Motion. I would look at reinstalling QT before doing anything else. I've heard more issues resulting from QT than anything else. Just ensure that you do a proper uninstall of QT. Best to seach the COW or the Net on this cos occasionally some components are left intact after an uninstalll and these left-behind CODECs may interfere with subsequent installs.

Good Luck
RoRK

Return to posts index

Jeremiah Belt
on Apr 6, 2010 at 4:24:20 pm

Discovered the problem! I uninstalled my Kona 3 drivers, codec, and software. Once they were re-installed all was well again. Duly noted.

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Apr 6, 2010 at 5:50:26 pm

That's excellent news! With I/O cards and additional CODECs, sometimes the order in which they are installed relative to apps and QT is crucial in the smooth running of the entire system.

Something to keep in mind for the future.

Cheers
RoRK

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]