ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Why I'll be Frustrated One Week from Today

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
cowcowcowcowcow
Dave LaRondeWhy I'll be Frustrated One Week from Today
by on Apr 5, 2010 at 1:44:24 pm

As almost everybody in this forum knows, Adobe releases CS5 on 4/12, a week from today.

Well, when that happens, I'll be visiting family Back Home, a trip that was planned long before the folks in San Jose decided on a release date. Due to recent events, it's even more imperative than ever that I go.

I'll have no computer. I'll only have a cel phone, not a smart phone. My brother, who lives fifteen miles from where I'm staying, has an internet connection -- it's a dialup, hooked to a six-year-old Macbook, I think.

A worldwide internet event, and I'm visiting the Luddite family.

When I return, I'll be greatly interested to read about the oohs and aahs. I hope I don't read about the yawns -- y'hear that, Adobe?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Why I'll be Frustrated One Week from Today
by on Apr 5, 2010 at 2:31:43 pm

Dear God, man! What a world, what a world! Get an iPhone - fast!

If you want, email me your cell phone number and I'll give you a call and let you know what's up. I'm registered for the online launch so (barring any sort of "fires" here at work or the second coming of Jesus) I'll be right there for the fun and can give you any pertinent info afterwards.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Why I'll be Frustrated One Week from Today
by on Apr 5, 2010 at 6:17:25 pm

[Michael Szalapski] " Get an iPhone - fast!... If you want, email me your cell phone number and I'll give you a call..."

Sorry, no chance that I'll get an iPhone very soon. However, I did email my number to szalamproductions. Thanks for the offer.

Cripes, I haven't even had time to upgrade my home machine to Win 7 and more RAM yet! We certainly won't be getting AE 10 here at work, and that's a fact -- despite Todd's productivity arguments.

Hey, I've been waiting nine stinkin' months for my System Administrator -- who has my machine locked out except for the most basic of read-write access to do my job -- to resolve my typeface accessibility issues. We let our Trapcode licenses lapse because they didn't want to pay for the upgrades when we got AE8! So AE 10 at work? Dream on.

Sometimes, you just can't win.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Erik WaluskaRe: Why I'll be Frustrated One Week from Today
by on Apr 5, 2010 at 3:08:47 pm

Hey, at least you'll be getting CS5. We're still on CS3 where I work because of spending freezes due to the awesome economy. And I can't even upgrade my home system because it has to be compatible with project files from my work system. Waaaaaaaa!

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Todd KoprivaRe: Why I'll be Frustrated One Week from Today
by on Apr 5, 2010 at 3:38:22 pm

> Hey, at least you'll be getting CS5. We're still on CS3 where I work because of spending freezes due to the awesome economy.

If I were you, I'd make an argument for cost savings due to greater performance.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

by on Apr 5, 2010 at 4:02:03 pm

Wow, that's a serious speed improvement! I want it, I want it!! Maybe if I just pester them relentlessly or throw a temper tantrum like a 5-year-old in the toy isle at Wal-Mart they'll finally buy me the toy I want just to shut me up.

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Why I'll be Frustrated One Week from Today
by on Apr 5, 2010 at 4:53:44 pm

Becareful though, they may end up dropping you off at a Walmart aisle.

As with all upgrades, a few folks will be happy, others sad and the remaining others, indifferent.

I think most folks are looking at compatibility with older (non 64-bit) plugins and hardware and the costs required to upgrade any of these thingies. Adobe will do well to, for once, allow for backward & even forward (via an update) compatibility while saving an AEP.

Most corporate folks just won't upgrade their entire arsenal at one go. Adobe has to allow upgrades to occur at the pace which the economy allows. Anything more is going to result in a lot of pain at Adobe.

It's also a shame that not all of the COW Heads got into the beta test team.

Cheers
RoRK

Sell your AEPs with broadcastGEMs' DVD series of templates. Click here for more

Return to posts index

by on Apr 5, 2010 at 5:10:48 pm

Well put. I agree. I suppose I'll just have to keep enjoying CS3 for a while longer - or at least until they make the new versions backward compatible as you mentioned.

Return to posts index

John DavidsonRe: Why I'll be Frustrated One Week from Today
by on Apr 9, 2010 at 11:46:08 pm

Honestly, I want to be excited, but my faith in Adobe is somewhat shaken. I also am not looking forward to manually installing all my plugins again. Because it's such a painful install, it really behooves me to do a total system wipe and reinstall everything from scrach, which is a horrible process requiring research into all my plugins and getting them updated, serials organized, etc.

If something is wrong with the release of CS5, how long is it going to take before we see an update to patch it? Updates have been so slow to trickle out. I want to get excited about new features, but the stress of losing a week to install this is pretty intense.

Maybe I'm wrong - maybe the new CS5 will automatically port all plugins over to the new application, including doing all the 'homework' of downloading and installing 64 bit versions. Perhaps it will delete the old copies of CS4 and CS3. Perhaps I'll get real 3D functionality (without trips to photoshop) so I can forget about Zaxwerks and its totally opposite to AE interface. Maybe, just maybe, it'll include a plugin manager application that remembers all the serials, informs me of plugin updates, and crap like that for me - and even reminds me if I forgot to install a plugin that I had purchased before, like the iphone app store does.

I really hope I'm wrong. I so desperately want this suite to blow me away and for Adobe to rock out.

Return to posts index

John Davidsondelete
by on Apr 9, 2010 at 11:50:28 pm

oops...double post...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]