ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

How should I optimize my images for 3d comp?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nicolas JullienHow should I optimize my images for 3d comp?
by on Apr 5, 2010 at 1:33:53 pm

Hello everybody!
I working on an animation using 2d images in a 3d environment. I wonder how big my images should be in order to have a great rendering but to be still able to work on the project.

Let's say I work on a 1080p comp. Would I be right to keep my images height under 1080px when they are in the background and to keep a much higher definition for close up images that are more close to the camera?
I was thinking that if the image height in pixel is lower than the comp height, the rendering would not suffer from the small size, but maybe in fact I would loose details? Does a big image bring some details to the rendering or is it just a time consuming myth?

Thank you all helping me improving my workflow!

Return to posts index

scott novasicRe: How should I optimize my images for 3d comp?
by on Apr 5, 2010 at 7:08:53 pm

if your still imagery is very high resolution. say 8000 x 8000 than yes. You can zoom in and see, technically, more detail. All depends on your subject matter. If your zooming in on a sattellite picture of the earth you would continue to see more detail. If it was a super hi rez image of a flower, you may simply see subtle color blends that resolution does not exactly help look 'better'. If I have enough resolution I keep the source as high as I can throughout the job. Never know when you may need that detail. Also, remember that motion blur will soften an image and its detail somewhat depending on how rapidly you move your imagery..

Animation & Visual Effects
Scott Novasic
Los Angeles Ca

Return to posts index

Nicolas JullienRe: How should I optimize my images for 3d comp?
by on Apr 5, 2010 at 8:55:24 pm

Thanks scott,
so no real improvement if you're not zooming in.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved