ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Wax Seal Effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Evan SeitzWax Seal Effect
by on Apr 5, 2010 at 11:50:10 am

Hey all -

Does anyone have any advice or know of a tutorial on how I can achieve a convincing wax seal effect in AE? Something a long the lines of a logo reveal where you can see the brand within the wax.

The graphic on this page (next to "Spanish Main") is what I'm going for after the animated reveal:

As for the animation, I'm clueless as to how much I can do with the topic. So if anyone has any ideas about animating the ink drying, or being dripped onto the page, etc. I'd be all ears!

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Wax Seal Effect
by on Apr 5, 2010 at 1:16:51 pm

There have been tons of posts on creating ink splatters, the same sort of thing would apply to the wax. Honestly, a wax splatter happens so fast, it would only need to be a frame or two in length. Just draw it with the mask tool.
For drying, you'll want to make it appear to be reflective when it first hits (by some sort of gradient or image overlay) and then make it less so as the wax goes from liquid to solid.
As to having a logo be embossed in it, use various bevel layer styles and/or effects and make the logo the same color as the wax.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Wax Seal Effect
by on Apr 5, 2010 at 1:21:51 pm

A combination of Mr Mercury and Liquify should be fine. Mr Mercury to create the thickness and bevels and Liquify to accentuate parts of the bevel so that they are not uniform around the edges.

The tricky part is in the reveal.

What do you have in mind?

Sell your AEPs with broadcastGEMs' DVD series of templates. Click here for more

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved