ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Pixel (draft) quality with transparent, how?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Emil NiemiPixel (draft) quality with transparent, how?
by on Apr 5, 2010 at 6:46:14 am

I got a huge problem in After Effects, first of all it didn't work to put in animated .gif files into After Effects, they'll get white area around..
This is working in Sony Vegas without any problem, but i need to make it work in After Effects.

So i got an answear to put in the .PNG files instead, so i was trying that.
But when i'm also importing the PNG files (same with the .GIF), they're beeing 'blurred', like more soft.
It looks like this (right one i changed to draft quality and then it getting the normal look it should).
http://i40.tinypic.com/kdubko.jpg

Here's an orginal .PNG file, as you can see it's just like the right picture above, that how it should look.
http://i41.tinypic.com/14k86cm.png

Problem here becomes when i'm going to render this out, i putted in all the .PNG files into my project and made them all to Draft quality. Then just lined them up and changed the time so it's look like this when i'm playing them
http://i43.tinypic.com/dfkb3t.gif

Now when i'm rendering this out, i was going to use QuickTime, but when i'm rendering out, what happends? Yes, it's make it smooth, it goes to the best quality automatic or something.

How do i fix this? I belive that After Effects is alot better than Sony Vegas and that it would be possible to fix this in After Effects.
But how? What's wrong?

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Pixel (draft) quality with transparent, how?
by on Apr 5, 2010 at 3:58:39 pm

Here's a page that explains what I think you're seeing with regard to the layer image quality:

"Layer image quality and subpixel positioning"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Emil NiemiRe: Pixel (draft) quality with transparent, how?
by on Apr 6, 2010 at 5:47:53 am

Ooh ok thanks.
But i don't really get it (i'm Swedish and my english isn't really good)..

What i understanded was that i do have to place these pixel pictures on the right place, with a right size?
But what i don't get is how i will than count how big i have to make the pictures etc, because then i just make empty area around the characters, if its possible..

Also my project size will be 700x394 (1,78 in aspect ratio).
And with 29,97 FPS..

But also, i don't get how i should make everything elses. Does it not work to do in a better way? or is it like impossible to make this in After Effects?

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Pixel (draft) quality with transparent, how?
by on Apr 6, 2010 at 12:24:59 pm

AE is a different tool from Vegas. We shouldn't compare them.

AE is like Vegas (confusing eh) in that they deal with pixels. You can't enlarge pixels without your image looking pixelated.

You now have to look at your source image and your output size and do a little math to know how many duplicate images are required. You can use AE's Align & Distribute feature to set your copies accurate across your composition.

Start off by aligning your copies horizontally. Then move one cope to the left-most edge and another to the right-most edge. Select all the copies and then click on one of the icons on the Align & Distribute Panel. If the first click doesn't work, then UNDO (CTRL Z) and try another icon.

HTH
RoRK

Sell your AEPs with broadcastGEMs' DVD series of templates. Click here for more

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Pixel (draft) quality with transparent, how?
by on Apr 6, 2010 at 2:48:08 pm

Basically, if your layer is place on fractional pixels---e.g., at (10.5, 10.5) instead of (11.0, 11.0)---then the image will look a little soft because of resampling.

So, when your image is sitting still, make sure that the postion values are whole numbers.

When your image is moving, there is motion blur, anyway, so the softness isn't visible.

This resampling is a _good_ thing in an animation program, since it allows for animation to appear smooth and not "pop" from one pixel to another.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]