ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Viewing one Comp while editing another

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Charles TaylorViewing one Comp while editing another
by on Apr 5, 2010 at 4:15:02 am

Hi there,
Long time Shake user who is using AE for one project - Trapcode Particular turns out to be the right tool for the job, and there's no Shake version...
In Shake, I will often have one node loaded into the viewer while I edit another node. In After Effects, I have some nested compositions. I would like to view the topmost comp while editing layers inside one of the inner comps. How do I do this?

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Viewing one Comp while editing another
by on Apr 5, 2010 at 4:41:47 am

IOW, you want to have two Comp Panels open and one Timeline panel.

At the top left of your current Comp Panel is an arrohead that acts as a drop-down menu. Choose Open New Viewer. You'll now have two comps open. You'll need to drag one of the two panels away from the frame so that it sits on its own frame. Check AE's Help on setting up Workspaces to get an idea how to perform this task.

You'll also need to lock each comp panel - the lock icon is towards the fra left of a comp panel.

HTH
RoRK

Sell your AEPs with broadcastGEMs' DVD series of templates. Click here for more

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Viewing one Comp while editing another
by on Apr 5, 2010 at 7:51:31 am

See "Edit this, look at that (ETLAT) and locked Composition viewers". This page contains, among other things, this handy nugget:

"To lock the current viewer, split the current frame, and create a new viewer of the same type in the new frame, press Ctrl+Alt+Shift+N (Windows) or Command+Option+Shift+N (Mac OS)."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Viewing one Comp while editing another
by on Apr 5, 2010 at 8:30:37 am

[Todd Kopriva] ""To lock the current viewer, split the current frame, and create a new viewer of the same type in the new frame, press Ctrl+Alt+Shift+N (Windows) or Command+Option+Shift+N (Mac OS).""

Sexay!!

Sell your AEPs with broadcastGEMs' DVD series of templates. Click here for more

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]