ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Videos Glitching In After Effects Renders?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Remington MarkhamVideos Glitching In After Effects Renders?
by on Apr 3, 2010 at 4:00:50 pm

This just started about a week ago, but recently every time I render in after effects (output or preview) my video footage skips frames or will flip back in forth in between two frames for a second. Any idea of how to fix it?

I have:
Processor: Intel Core i7 2.67GHz (8 CPU's)
Memory: 12 gigs of DDR3 ram
Video Card: NVIDIA Quadro FX 4800

I'm using CS4, and yes it is legal. Also the footage i'm editing is AVCHD footage. Never had a problem with it before?

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Videos Glitching In After Effects Renders?
by on Apr 3, 2010 at 6:47:27 pm

Just because it was behaving before, doesn't mean it will continue to do so.
Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, AVCHD, mp4, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Remington MarkhamRe: Videos Glitching In After Effects Renders?
by on Apr 3, 2010 at 9:59:37 pm

Well that explains it fully! Now what codec to you suggest to convert it to? Also what program should I used to convert it?

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Videos Glitching In After Effects Renders?
by on Apr 4, 2010 at 3:06:48 pm

if you are using an nle to trim and export the avchd files, it should export a variety of files and codecs.

if the file came straight from a camera, the camera manufacturer usually provides a utility for viewing and converting the files.

there is a free, multiplatform media converter called mpeg streamclip ( that i use to convert a variety of formats and codecs.

as far as formats/codec to use, if you want to avoid quality loss, choosing an uncompressed avi, lossless quicktime or quicktime png, or any of the uncompressed quicktime options (like 10-bit uncompressed) will avoid loss, but create large files.

if those files are too large, loss with quicktime photojpeg at 90% or higher is nearly undetectable and the file sizes will be smaller. there is also apple's prores 422 (need fcp) and avid's dnxhd (free from avid) which produce good quality at friendly bit rates/file sizes.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved