ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Photoshop layer to AE project question

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John ThompsonPhotoshop layer to AE project question
by on Apr 3, 2010 at 2:29:16 pm

Hi,

I am trying to bring a layered photoshop file into AE and have it show up the exact same single page arrangement the saved file was in in photoshop. However when I click on the psd file, in AE, click replace footage, with layered comp, and pull the file into my project, all the files show up as individual layers, but they are not in the nice single page format that I had arranged them in. Instead they are all separate files.

So is there a way to import .PSD files with layers and have them import into my ae project in the same one page arrangement they were in in photoshop...and can I them take this file and import it into my project as the single page, and apply whatever AE effects I like to the layers...

Right now i can only have a flat .psd page or I can have the layers from a .psd that are totally unorganized...

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Return to posts index

John ThompsonRe: Photoshop layer to AE project question
by on Apr 3, 2010 at 3:46:35 pm

I didn't want to take up space and start another thread so I figured I would post this related question in here...

Is there anyway I can made a .psd file double sided? I am trying to create a digital scrap book that flips pages, but when the I flip its pages in AE,the side is shown again only in reverse. I would like there to be new pictures on the other side. Is this possible or is there an easy work around? Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Jeremy AllenRe: Photoshop layer to AE project question
by on Apr 3, 2010 at 4:36:22 pm

You can import a PSD file as a composition, with all layers intact, in the same layer order as the original file in Photoshop. Once imported, you should see a pre-made composition of the layers, as well as a folder with all the individual layers. This is the way it usually works, so I'm not sure why you are having problems with it.

As far as the "double sided" PSD... You can do this a couple different ways. In Photoshop you could set up each page as a separate file, then import each as a composition. In After Effects, select both compositions and drag them to the "New comp" button at the bottom of the browser. Let's call this new comp "Page 1&2". Now you have a new comp with each "page" composition on its own layer. Make each layer 3D. Now rotate the "back" page 180 degrees, then push it back in Z-space one pixel. You now have a comp with 2 pages back-to-back. Once you place this comp in your main or master comp, enable the "collapse transformations" switch and you can spin it around to see both sides.

The other method is pretty much the same, except in Photoshop you can put all the layers for each page into a separate layer group. Now when you import the PSD file, you should have one main comp with both pages inside as sub-comps. This main comp now acts as your "Page 1&2" comp. Now go through the process of rotating and re-positioning the back page, then enable the "collapse transformations" switch in the main comp..

I'm writing this from memory, so I may have missed a step, but this should get you most of the way there. Hope it helps..

---------------------------------------------
8core MacPro, 3.0 GHZ, 10GB RAM, OSX 10.5.6

C4D 11.5
AE CS3
FCP 6.0.1

Return to posts index

John ThompsonRe: Photoshop layer to AE project question
by on Apr 3, 2010 at 6:28:35 pm

Thank you so much for that reply. I have one quick follow up...

Would it somehow be possible to save this double layer process as a preset so I do not have to do it everytime. I have only used after effects for two days so I am not sure how complex the preset or automations can get.

Thanks again

Return to posts index

Jeremy AllenRe: Photoshop layer to AE project question
by on Apr 3, 2010 at 9:26:46 pm

Someone else may be able to offer an animation preset solution, but I can give you some tips to make it easier to do it for multiple pages..

Once you have the first 2-page comp complete (Page 1&2), simply duplicate that comp in the asset browser. Name the new duplicated comp "Page 3&4". Double click this new comp to open it up. Select the front facing page comp (page 1). Assuming you have already imported your new PSD file for the next pages, select your page 3 comp in the browser, hold option and drag & drop it on top of the front facing page comp (page 1). Then do the same with page 4 and the back facing comp (page 2). Now in your master comp, duplicate the "Page 1&2" comp, select it, and repeat the process of replacing it with the "Page 3&4 comp".

I hope this makes sense. Sometimes its hard to write out stuff like this in a way that makes sense to everybody. Basically the main point is once you have created one back-to-back page comp, you can quickly duplicate it and replace the pages to make more. For the ultimate efficiency, you could even go ahead and create every page in one PSD file, with each page in a layer group. Once you have all the pages created, you could then import that one file, and go through the duplicate and replace process quickly for all your pages. With this "all-in-one" method, you could also easily modify the page layouts or page graphics or whatever in that one PSD, and the changes will be reflected in After Effects.

---------------------------------------------
8core MacPro, 3.0 GHZ, 10GB RAM, OSX 10.5.6

C4D 11.5
AE CS3
FCP 6.0.1

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]