ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

After Effects isn't compatible with .mov files?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Deepak AdhikaryAfter Effects isn't compatible with .mov files?
by on Apr 3, 2010 at 6:07:22 am

Hey everyone,
I have a weird problem with importing .mov files into Adobe After Effects CS4. I already have one .mov file imported in the project, but when I try to import another .mov file, it says the file type is unsupported. I don't get it, can anyone help me? By the way I'm on Vista if that matters at all.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: After Effects isn't compatible with .mov files?
by on Apr 3, 2010 at 5:36:33 pm

.MOV is just a container, like AVI. There are, literally, zillions of different codecs that it could be. You probably just don't have the codec on your machine with which that particular .MOV file is encoded.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Alperen T. AyhanRe: After Effects isn't compatible with .mov files?
by on Apr 3, 2010 at 7:31:11 pm

Yeah, Michael is right.. try to convert it to another HQ file format like .avi, DV etc.. You may use total video converter or a different converter software..

Alperen T. AYHAN
http://www.sinamasal.com
Always cinema...

Return to posts index

by on Apr 3, 2010 at 8:10:51 pm

Or even a .MOV format that works well in AE, such as Quicktime with the PNG codec (not a PNG sequence)

- The Great Szalam

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Deepak AdhikaryRe: After Effects isn't compatible with .mov files?
by on Apr 4, 2010 at 1:45:56 pm

Well, I tried to convert it to avi or wmv using several different converters, but the file is also incompatible with those. Do you think that this certain mov file only plays on a mac? Or does the operating system not really matter?

Return to posts index

by on Apr 4, 2010 at 2:37:05 pm

It's very possible. There are some .MOV codecs that are only readable by Final Cut Pro

- The Great Szalam

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: After Effects isn't compatible with .mov files?
by on Apr 4, 2010 at 2:49:30 pm

if you can open the file in quicktime, you should be able choose the movie insepctor to determine the codec that was used... as michael points out, there are some quicktime codecs that are only available as part of the fcp suite, and as such are mac only.

if the file was encoded with one of those codecs, you will need to find a mac with fcp to convert it, or possibly find a windows converter to convert it, but those usually are not the free versions.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Viktor NuevoRe: After Effects isn't compatible with .mov files?
by on Apr 17, 2010 at 2:27:57 pm

I recommed you using Canopus Procoder to determine what codec it has. Anyway, using the software called "super" you can convert it to any other file format and codec

Try, fail and re-try

Return to posts index

Deepak AdhikaryRe: After Effects isn't compatible with .mov files?
by on Apr 28, 2010 at 3:38:03 pm

I did get Canopus Procoder to try and fix this problem, but this error message pops up "QT Reader: Could not load the file because QuickTime 6.4 does not support this file format". This makes no sense because I just downloaded Quicktime 7. But to be sure I re-downloaded it and installed Quicktime again, but the same message popped up again.

Return to posts index

vamsi sudheerRe: After Effects isn't compatible with .mov files?
by on Apr 19, 2010 at 12:24:43 pm

give me reply soon

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]