ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

rendering card/ workflow help

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jessica Robbinsrendering card/ workflow help
by on Apr 2, 2010 at 6:53:31 pm

I have a quad core intel mac pro with 4GB 800MHz DDR2 memory.

I need to know some next steps to help reduce render time and editing time. When I have a 1080p timeline in premiere- it take FOREVER to even update the frame while i am editing.

Is there some sort of additional card I can get to help with render and do background rendering.

Should I also buy more ram?

Any advice at will help my workflow!

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: rendering card/ workflow help
by on Apr 2, 2010 at 7:00:16 pm

There are no longer any separate render cards (you might be thinking of the old ICE boards from 10 years ago), and 4 GB with a 4-core processor is not enough for After Effects to use multiprocessing. You want 2 to 4 GB per core, or 8 to 16 GB total.

You might check the Adobe Premiere Pro forum for more information about your Premiere troubles.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Jessica RobbinsRe: rendering card/ workflow help
by on Apr 2, 2010 at 7:03:15 pm

Thanks- the real issue, is that- I would like my computer to have as much power as possible and in the right places to increase workflow in AE and PPro with effects and HD footage.

What do I need more of technically speaking- ram, memory, etc and would a better graphics card help?

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: rendering card/ workflow help
by on Apr 2, 2010 at 7:11:57 pm

Lots of RAM, fast processors, and fast hard disks---in that order---are the things that I would focus on.

Don't worry about your graphics card for After Effects. For Premiere Pro CS5, the graphics card will matter; a specific set of Nvidia cards with CUDA support will really help Premiere Pro CS5.

This page is the best place to start regarding improving performance in After Effects. Be sure to read to the bottom, for the comments.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: rendering card/ workflow help
by on Apr 2, 2010 at 7:14:47 pm

I'd only add this to Todd's comment:

What kind of HD footage are you using in After Effects? If it's HDV, MPEG4, or similar, you should transcode to another format like Uncompressed, Animation, ProRes, or Quicktime Motion JPEG or PNG. See Dave's Stock Answer #1 for more:

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, AVCHD, mp4, mts, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]