ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Trouble with Sizes

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Dietrich
Trouble with Sizes
on Apr 2, 2010 at 4:24:44 pm

I am having a killer time trying to figure something out. I had a friend send me his AE files for a very small video that he did. When it is rendered out as a QuickTime (.mov) file, uncompressed it comes out as 720 x 480, which is what I want. However, when I view the video in QuickTime X on my Mac is shows the video as 655x480. If I open it in QT7, looks great. If I embed into a website it looks good. However, I am trying to drop it into Final Cut and when I do that it says that it is 720x480 but the viewing of it is still 655x480.

The QT Inspectors says:

Format: Apple Animation, 720x480 (655 x 480), millions 16 bit Interger (Big Endian), Stereo, 48.000 kHz

FPS: 29.97
Data Rate: 44.73 MB/sec
Current Size: 655 x 480

Please help!

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
Re: Trouble with Sizes
on Apr 2, 2010 at 6:56:52 pm

It sounds to me like everything is fine with After Effects and QuickTime 7, which are giving you a 720x480 image with a 0.91 pixel aspect ratio. I can't speak for what is happening on the Final Cut side, since I hardly ever open that application.

I think that the fact that is going to help you to understand what's going on is that the pixels in NTSC DV video are not square, and you need to make sure that your applications are interpreting the video with correct pixel aspect ratio.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Greg Dietrich
on Apr 2, 2010 at 7:13:04 pm

OK, so it sounds like something is not panning out with the pixel size. I am a no nothing in AE so I'm not sure if there is a way to control this. If so, how would I do that?

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Apr 2, 2010 at 8:51:01 pm

It sounds like the issue isn't on the After Effects end but on the end where other software (like Final Cut) is interpreting the video.

Here's the section of After Effects Help on pixel aspect ratio, anyway.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]