ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

50% threshold colour filter?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dylan Mercer50% threshold colour filter?
by on Apr 2, 2010 at 12:53:42 am

Hi, I am trying to figure out an effect in AFX:

I want to have a screen of small triangular facets which all work seperatly to 'pixelate' an image below by working out a 50% colour threshold and translating each facet into black or white, however complex the image below.

So something similar to mosaic, except triangles instead of squares, and 2 colours only.

any ideas?

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: 50% threshold colour filter?
by on Apr 2, 2010 at 3:16:31 pm

i don't know of an effect that will create a mosaic with triangles...

the easiest/most direct way i can think of, is to create a layer with the triangle pattern that you want (if it is a repeatable pattern, you could create one triangle and use motion tile or repetile to fill the pattern out. then use that as a track matte for a layer with mosaic on it and overlay that on the same layer with mosaic on it....

obviously you'll need to change the mosaic a bit from one layer to another, or it will just look like a rectangular mosaic pattern. for the b/w effect, try tint and adjust the contrast with levels.

the best way would be to create each triangle as a layer, add the fill effect and link the fill effect and the layer's anchor point to a sampleImage() expression that that is sampling the image at that point, then you'll need to duplicate the triangle layer out to create a grid (you won't be able to use motion tile/repetile, but expressions can help there too.

i won't have time to work out those expressions today, but if you post, and/or search, in the expressions forum you should be able to get some good help... try searching for sampleImage to learn about that expression and also search for 'layers grid' for expressions that can help order your triangles more easily...

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: 50% threshold colour filter?
by on Apr 2, 2010 at 4:31:21 pm

[Kevin Camp] "i don't know of an effect that will create a mosaic with triangles..."

Could you fake it with CC Pixel Polly, using polygons instead of textured polygons?

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Antony BuonomoRe: 50% threshold colour filter?
by on Apr 3, 2010 at 1:31:18 pm

This may help -

Vertigo Productions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved