ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Motion Tracking

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Olly LawerMotion Tracking
by on Apr 1, 2010 at 7:14:29 pm

I'm about to shoot a video which will involve actors holding boards up and inside the board, I will place a video - shot against a white background - of characters talking through their website. It's an arty video which will test my AE abilities.

The video that I place 'inside the board' basically needs to look like the board. This means that when the actor holding the board moves slightly, the video inside needs to move slightly too. I guess the best way to do this is to draw with a big black permanent marker, 4 dots on each corner of the board and then somehow attach the 2nd video to each of these dots so AE has a clear handle to work with.

Not sure how I go about achieving all this in the best way, so any thoughts would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Olly Lawer

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Motion Tracking
by on Apr 1, 2010 at 7:26:49 pm

Go shoot test video RIGHT NOW, and get to know Mocha if you have AE9. There's a basic explanation and tutorial about it here on the COW.

Got another version of AE? It gets tougher to do.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Olly LawerRe: Motion Tracking
by on Apr 4, 2010 at 4:42:41 pm

Thanks for this. Have had a look at the Mocha. Looks good, however, if I make clear black markers, then we should be OK with AE simply tracking those as there won't be much movement in the image - hopefully!

In terms of the practicalities, I guess I mask the video that I want to go in the box and then place 4 motion tracking pins to the black pen marks on the board on the first video? I guess these can be behind the video rather then having to be at the edges (if that makes sense).

Olly Lawer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved