ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

3D Layer behavior

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
malcolm DeSoto3D Layer behavior
by on Mar 31, 2010 at 10:33:36 pm

alright, I've built a 3D building in AE. Inside of that building, I've placed another 3D comp. The idea is to zoom out of the small room, through the building wall and reveal the whole building.

This was working fine until just recently. I added a layer in the small comp and it made everything go out of wack.

If I have my small room comp on top of the layer stack, it makes one of the side walls disappear.

If I place the small room comp on the bottom of the layer stack, the wall reappears

The obvious answer would be to keep that comp on the bottom. However, when I have that comp on the bottom and revisit it, some of it's layers are missing.

I've tried moving layers around and adding adjustment layers in between the conflicting layers, but nothing seems to work.

Any ideas?

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources." --Albert Einstein

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: 3D Layer behavior
by on Apr 1, 2010 at 12:53:44 am

Here's a page that explains what's going on.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Alperen T. AyhanRe: 3D Layer behavior
by on Apr 1, 2010 at 1:47:12 pm

I think you haven't seperate objects.. I mean building must be a precomp layer, room must be a precomp layer and after you precomp these, turn on collapse transformation switches and make them 3d layer again. Then you can put the room inside the building. Don't use camera in precomps. here is one of my 3D work similar to yours. (in first 10 seconds all of the layers put in together after they have been precomped)
( )

Alperen T. AYHAN
Always cinema...

Return to posts index

malcolm DeSotoRe: 3D Layer behavior
by on Apr 3, 2010 at 9:51:04 pm

Well, couldn't figure it out. I know all about precomping layers and using adjustment layers to avoid intersecting and collapsing the comps. Nothing I did seemed to work. I thought that maybe it was a vector paint effect that was messing things up, but that doesn't seem to be it either.

I ended up just splicing the two comps together instead of having them overlap. There's a moment where the camera goes through the wall and in that moment, I spliced them together.

Super lame work around, but I need to get this done and am not sure what else to do.

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources." --Albert Einstein

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved