ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Crumble to floor effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Graham MacfarlaneCrumble to floor effect
by on Mar 31, 2010 at 4:19:15 pm

Can anyone suggest a method in AE to make a layer crumble into various size chunks and fall to the ground where they come to rest? (think ancient stone wall crumbling to the ground)

The shatter effect gives an almost perfect solution for me, except that I can't get the chunks to stop at the ground. They just keep falling.

Particular I think should allow some way of stopping the particles falling too far however the effect will more resemble the layer disintegrating into a mist or sand. I can't see how to control it to make chunks like shatter does.

Return to posts index

Alperen T. AyhanRe: Crumble to floor effect
by on Mar 31, 2010 at 7:27:44 pm

You can use cc pixel poly effect with bevel.. Then you can combine the particular's disintegration and bounce with these effects..

Alperen T. AYHAN
Always cinema...

Return to posts index

Graham MacfarlaneRe: Crumble to floor effect
by on Apr 1, 2010 at 5:03:52 pm

Thanks Alperen for your idea. I had a look at cc pixel poly and it seems to be a simplified version of shatter. It lacks the ability to break the layer up into randomly sized and shaped chunks. I had a look at how particular could be combined with cc pixel poly (and shatter for that matter too) and I can't see any obvious solution.
Online tutorials don't seem to cover this mixing of effects either.

Any push in the right direction would be most appreciated!

Return to posts index

Alperen T. AyhanRe: Crumble to floor effect
by on Apr 1, 2010 at 6:00:38 pm

You need to use a bunch of layers.. In some of them will be used cc pixel poly, some of them will be used particular. Eg:
here is one of my videos.. In the 32nd second you will see a firework of a logo. this is made of particular.. They explode and dropping down.. you can use this for spreading out particles to floor and for the bigger pieces you can use cc pixel poly..

I think this will give you some idea.. If you like this idea I can send you how to make that "firework" scene..

Alperen T. AYHAN
Always cinema...

Return to posts index

by on Apr 19, 2010 at 9:44:02 am

Thanks Alperen for your help and sorry for not having the time to respond sooner.
I had a good look at your video and the cc pixel poly/particular work flow. I still can't figure out a way to achieve the crumble effect I need.
The example on your work you high-lighted on the 32nd second is cool but its more of a disintegration effect.
What I'm trying to do is to crumble an old wall. Imagine your looking at an ancient castle wall and there is an earth quake. The wall would crack and chunks of various shapes and sizes (some chunks - very big and shaped lossely on clusters of stones from the wall) would fall and hit the ground.
I wont need to see these chunks break up on impact with the ground as I'm far enough away from the wall in my video but the wall needs to break appart in a very realistic manner.
As I mentioned, the shatter effect in AE can achieve the break appart look using a custom map perfectly, but lacks the ability to make the chunks stop at any point (i.e. hit the ground).

Perhaps there is an AE plugin out there that can do all this??
Otherwise I think I may have to resort to reactor in 3D Max. :(

Return to posts index

Claude RozsaRe: Crumble to floor effect
by on Mar 17, 2015 at 7:19:56 pm

Hi Graham,
I suppose since you last posted on this subject you have solved your problem.

I'm just an amateur non professional and trying to achieve the same result as the one you were looking for.

My video project concerns my different trips to Pompeii and Herculaneum which I try to gather on a short subject inspired by the French writer Théophile Gautier's novel "Arria Marcella". The idea being that alien visitors arrive in the ruins and meet a victim of the 79AD eruption who will serve them as a guide and each time they arrive at a major location in the ruins, those come back to their original splendor. My video begins with the eruption and among others shots I have the Temple of Jupiter on the forum crumbling because of the earthquake tremors parallel to the eruption.

I thought of using shatter effect but as you mention here the pieces disappear instead of staying on the ground.

I've checked different tutorials on the web, asked on different forums without any result.

If you succeeded to solve the problem would it be asking too much how you did it.

As you may imagine as an amateur it's out of question for me to invest in costly addons like Particular and others. I use the Adobe suite CC and Element 3D from Videocopilot and DAZ studio 3D. I'll try to understand how to use the lite version of Cinema 4D which is accessible via AE. Moreover I'm rather new with AE.

My project has no commercial aim whatsoever. I just want to make something original for my private use, eventually posting it on youtube or Vimeo for friends to see but with downloading restrictions.

I'm a senior retired banker. Editing and video are just a hobby.

Hoping not to take too much of your time

Claude ROZSA

Return to posts index

by on Mar 19, 2015 at 8:05:07 am
Last Edited By Graham Macfarlane on Jul 13, 2015 at 6:43:38 am

Hi Claude,

I never found a satisfactory solution to this in the end.
The Reactor plugin in 3D studio Max was rather unstable simulating a large castle wall and quite slow.
In recent years reactor has been replaced with the MassFX tool set. This would certainly do a better, faster job, but doesn’t correlate to the tools you’re are using.

I think your best bet would be to use Element 3D along with some crumble tutorials on YouTube and then mask the ground impact of the debris with dust plumes. If required add in heaps of rubble which can fade in under the dust that are revealed as it clears.

Hope that helps!

Graham Macfarlane
3D | VFX

Return to posts index

Claude RozsaRe: Crumble to floor effect
by on Mar 19, 2015 at 8:20:54 am

Thanks Graham; I'm still struggling with Shatter in AE. I thought of using Cinema 4 D lite in AE but things are not clear to what commands are not available to use their shatter solution.There's a good youtube tutorial but simulation and collide are missing in the lite edition delivered with AE. I'm not a petroleum magnate to pay for the full version! Just an amateur trying to make an original video for his own pleasure. May be your idea is the right thing to do. I must say as I remarked to Mylenium of the Adobe staff, I just can't understand that such an obvious situation has not been implemented although Adobe is not the author of the effect. When a building crumbles debris do not vanish into thin air!He told me to put gravity to 0! That would bring the most ridiculous situation! I imagine the poor guy who got crushed by one of the temple's column looking above him to it suspended in the air!
His skeleton was found during the excavations in Pompeii !

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved