ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Dynamic Link between Premeire Pro & After Effects CS4

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
William FeemsterDynamic Link between Premeire Pro & After Effects CS4
by on Mar 31, 2010 at 12:42:12 am

I have an edited sequence in Premiere Pro or PP and I would like to make some color corrections in After Effects CS4 or AE and us the Adobe Dynamic link to do it.
From AE I go to File / Adobe Dynamic link / Import Premiere Pro Sequence.
Find my PP project in the left hand window and choose my sequence in the right hand window. Click ok or whatever. My sequence appears in AE as a Dynamic Link Premiere Sequence in the Project panel. My goal is to be able to see and apply effects to the individual clips in the Timeline panel, but not as a single line in the Timeline. I have a reference youtube video for reference...

At 2:22 he brings the sequence down into the Timeline and it is all on one line. Then (this is the Key) he Alt double clicks the single Timeline track at 2:45 and it expands(lack of a better term) the track so you can see/edit the individual parts of the sequence. I'm on a Mac and I did the Mac equivalent of Alt Double Click and the track didn't expand. I don't understand why. Please help.

Return to posts index

Bruce WainerRe: Dynamic Link between Premeire Pro & After Effects CS4
by on Mar 31, 2010 at 1:40:14 am

The man in this video isn't using dynamic link, he imports the PP project using file>import>file (I don;t know what this would be on a mac, but I know it's still (something)>import>file). The upside to this method is that you can see what's in the PP timeline. The downside is if you make a change in AE to the timeline, it won't be in the PP project beacuse the project file is no longer being used. Basically, AE recreates the PP timeline in a new composition in the AE project.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Dynamic Link between Premeire Pro & After Effects CS4
by on Mar 31, 2010 at 3:56:42 am

Another downside of importing a Premiere Pro project into After Effects is that only some items are converted and preserved. (They happen to be exactly the same things that are converted and preserved when you copy and paste from Premiere Pro to After Effects, because the underlying code is the same.)

See this page and this page for details.

For information on Dynamic Link (which has perfect fidelity because it actually uses a headless version of Premiere Pro to render the sequence for After Effects), see this section.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved