ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Black frames in my AE project

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John YoungBlack frames in my AE project
by on Mar 30, 2010 at 9:08:38 pm

I am creating some video insets that Track Matte (alpha matte) with a Shape Layer. For a reason I have yet to figure out, video layer has a few frames of black on a specific layer at seemingly random times throughout the clip. I have investigated this quite a bit and here is what I can figure out.
-It has something to do with the alpha channel. When I turn off the Track Matte using the alpha channel everything think is back to normal.
-When the Track Matte is on AE acts like the black flash is on the source footage. The black frame appears in the footage window when I scrub through the MP4 footage file. But I can view the same file in Premiere Pro and it appears normal.

My AE comps are linked to my Premiere Pro project so they show up on my final outputs.
Any suggestions?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Black frames in my AE project
by on Mar 30, 2010 at 9:36:16 pm

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, AVCHD, mp4, mts, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

John YoungRe: Black frames in my AE project
by on Mar 30, 2010 at 10:55:02 pm

Thank you, I will give that a try. I was hoping that the way Adobe links all their projects I could keep the footage native, but looks like I will have to do some do some exporting.

Return to posts index

Kristian EngelsenRe: Black frames in my AE project
by on Mar 31, 2010 at 11:09:00 am

This is a basic question, why didn't you mention that to the post starter, Mr. Guru? Still offended by the way...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved