ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Sterling Ledet AE training?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nate WhitedSterling Ledet AE training?
by on Mar 30, 2010 at 7:26:29 pm

Does anybody know anything about the the AE training courses offered by Sterling Ledet? (Please don't flame me for not ordering XYZ discs, books, etc. I learn better by having somebody show me.)

I searched The Cow forums and saw they were spoken of very positively, right up until 2005. That was the last posting that made mention of them (according to my search). So...anybody have any insight? Good or bad?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Sterling Ledet AE training?
by on Mar 30, 2010 at 9:25:10 pm

I don't know if you'll get any useful replies; to my knowledge, no one I know has ever used those guys for training. You might have to contact those pre-2005 guys.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Amy RutledgeRe: Sterling Ledet AE training?
by on Apr 6, 2010 at 8:56:58 pm

I recently took the Advanced AE training at Sterling Ledet. The class was fine. I ended up having 2 trainers due to the first guy getting sick. The first guy was a working video pro and gave me lots of real world application. The second was a professional trainer who knew the program but didn't have any practical experience. The book was Adobe babble and didn't pertain to what I was taught at all.

Return to posts index

Terry LyonsRe: Sterling Ledet AE training?
by on Nov 22, 2011 at 1:21:11 am

Would the AE training from be just as good?

Return to posts index

Sterling LedetRe: Sterling Ledet AE training?
by on Jan 23, 2012 at 9:41:13 pm

I can answer fairly specific questions about our classes. I think is great. It's not live instructor-led, hands-on training though, and I don't view them as direct competitors. We are a satisfied client and partner with though, and for some, it's the best solution. I tend to think of as more of a high-end self-study type product, as opposed to a conventional, bricks and mortar classroom situation.

Adobe, Apple and Quark certified training in Atlanta, San Diego, Denver, DC and Chicago.

Return to posts index

Terry LyonsRe: Sterling Ledet AE training?
by on Jan 23, 2012 at 10:22:54 pm

I actually took the Ledet AE course and was surprised to find that they use the same book as what uses which is After Effects Apprentice, Second Edition by Chris and Trish Meyer. So it would depend on your learning style as to self-learning or instructor-taught but it's the exact same material for both.

I can say from experience after doing both that I prefer the Lynda because I could work at my own pace and go over the exercises again and again (which I suppose is my preferred style ). I felt rushed by the Webucator class (of which Ledet is an affiliate) as they had to show a certain amount in the prescribed time. Let me also say that I was quite familiar with the AE interface and it's operation by the time I took the Ledet course so I was already past square-one of the learning curve.

Sterling, as long as you're should be noted in your course description that this book is the text. I ended up having two copies as one is sent with the course though I already had a copy to follow along with 'Lynda'. By letting the student know this they can communicate that they have the book thus saving them a little bit of money when purchasing your course. I paid out-of-pocket (not company subsidized) and it would have helped.

Hope this helps all concerned.

Terence Lyons

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved