ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Color correction with adjustment layers and masks that track

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
William FeemsterColor correction with adjustment layers and masks that track
by on Mar 30, 2010 at 7:20:58 pm

I shoot video of home interiors and I can easily apply an adjustment layer to brighten, sharpen and color correct the footage (multiple video layers). I would like to apply an adjustment layer to what I see out the window (so it won't look so washed out). My initial thought is to make a mask to define the affected area, but I would also like the mask to track with the window area as the camera pans across the room. How would I achieve this?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Color correction with adjustment layers and masks that track
by on Mar 30, 2010 at 8:01:24 pm

The short response: yes.

Use AE's motion tracker to track a high-contrast or contrasting color object that stays in frame during the pan. Se AE's online help for details on tracking; it's pretty good! There are also motion tracking tutorials here on the COW and on videocopilot.net.

When you have a good track, apply the track to a null object. Make an adjustment layer, and in the middle of the pan, cut your mask on it . Parent it to the null object.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jeremy AllenRe: Color correction with adjustment layers and masks that track
by on Mar 30, 2010 at 8:09:50 pm

in addition to Dave's tips, you'll probably want to activate motion blur for the mask layer and the scene, depending on how fast the camera pans. And you may need to go into composition settings > advanced and adjust the shutter angle to better match the original motion blur from the camera.

---------------------------------------------
8core MacPro, 3.0 GHZ, 10GB RAM, OSX 10.5.6

C4D 11.5
AE CS3
FCP 6.0.1

Return to posts index

William FeemsterRe: Color correction with adjustment layers and masks that track
by on Mar 30, 2010 at 11:24:02 pm

Hi Dave,

Thank you for the quick response. Will this work if the contrasting color object is panned out of view and doesn't return to view?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Color correction with adjustment layers and masks that track
by on Mar 31, 2010 at 1:14:00 pm

It's far, far easier to have the one track point. If you must select two or more, there's a procedure for doing it... you'd have to search for it in AE's online Help. I'd start by using the phrase, track multiple points and see what turns up. You should find something that tells you how to do it in AE 6, shich is fine. The principles would still apply.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]