ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

AE Settings for 720P?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James WhittingtonAE Settings for 720P?
by on Mar 30, 2010 at 5:22:50 pm

Hello,

I shot some 720P greenscreen footage using the HVX-200. When I open the capture scratch footage in QT it displays properly at 16x9. However, when I bring it into AE and make a composition, it stretches it vertically.

I'm sure it is something really simple...just haven't shot this format before. The comp settings default like this...

Preset: DVCPRO HD 720 23.976
Width: 960
Height: 720
Pixel Aspect Ratio: HDV 1080/DVCPRO HD 720 (1.33)

What do I need to change to make it display at 16x9?

Thanks!!!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: AE Settings for 720P?
by on Mar 30, 2010 at 5:26:13 pm

[James Whittington] "...when I bring it into AE and make a composition, it stretches it vertically. "

AE has a different way of dealing with pixel aspect ratios than other applications. Tun on the pixel aspect ratio compensation switch at the bottom of the comp window, and life is good.

Don't worry about the jagged look of text and graphics when this switch is toggled on. Everything renders nice 'n smooth.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Steve RobertsRe: AE Settings for 720P?
by on Mar 30, 2010 at 6:00:41 pm

Indeed.

By the way, if you have quality issues when rendering to the DVCPROHD codec when you're done, consider rendering to the Animation codec first with AE, then use QT player to export to the DVCPROHD codec.

Jus' sayin'.

Return to posts index

James WhittingtonRe: AE Settings for 720P?
by on Mar 30, 2010 at 6:31:20 pm

Thanks for the tips guys! The pixel compensation worked perfectly...so simple. :)

Interesting comment on exporting to Animation. Has there been issues with rendering to DVCPROHD directly from AE?

Now on to the hard part...trying to pull a good matte w/footage shot on a shadowy cloth greenscreen! Any magic secrets there??? :)

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: AE Settings for 720P?
by on Mar 30, 2010 at 7:08:03 pm

[James Whittington] "Has there been issues with rendering to DVCPROHD directly from AE? "

Not for me, there hasn't been. But then, I have never, ever used stuff rendered out of AE and cut it into a continuation of the same shot. Anything else I can tweak if necessary, and it's no big deal.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Steve RobertsRe: AE Settings for 720P?
by on Mar 30, 2010 at 8:13:43 pm

On DVCPROHD issues, I haven't heard any, just experienced them.

Sorry, no tips on the greenscreen. I'd get to know keylight pretty well, though surprisingly enough, sometimes multiple instances of the color key effect, with different greens, can also do the trick. Sometimes it helps to treat the footage first, to make keying easier, then use the keyed footage as an alpha matte for the original footage.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]