ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Problem adjusting mask shape

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kristian Engelsen
Problem adjusting mask shape
on Mar 30, 2010 at 1:49:05 pm

I have a small problem when it comes to my solid layer and mask shaping(the solid layer has the purpose of changing the color of tap water) I cannot adjust the points of the mask when I'm keyframing in order to fit the water stream. I can only move the whole mask. Cmd+T doesnt help. What can I do to adjust the points when in keyframes? I keyframe in Mask Path...

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Problem adjusting mask shape
on Mar 30, 2010 at 2:04:12 pm

• Remember that you have to set at least one Mask Shape (or is it Mask Path?) keyframe in order to animate a mask.
  • Click on the switch that makes mask outlines visible when you select the layer in the timeline.
  • Highlight the MASK setting for the layer.
  • Make sure you have the Arrow tool selected by hitting the v key.
  • With the entire mask still selected from the timeline, click anywhere outside the mask.
  • Lasso a mask vertex with the Arrow tool.
  • Move it.
  • Repeat moving vertices as necessary
This assumes, of course that you've actually moved the timeline cursor off the initial Mask Shape keyframe, which activates the process of animation -- animation is defined in AE as any property that changes over time, y'know.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jeremy Allen
on Mar 30, 2010 at 2:05:52 pm

If you have the solid layer selected and the selection tool active, click anywhere outside the mask and then click on a mask point that you want to move. If you don't click outside the mask, all points will be selected and you will only be able to move the whole mask.. It can be tricky until you get the hang of it.

---------------------------------------------
8core MacPro, 3.0 GHZ, 10GB RAM, OSX 10.5.6

C4D 11.5
AE CS3
FCP 6.0.1

Return to posts index

Kristian Engelsen
on Mar 30, 2010 at 2:06:55 pm

Okay thanks alot! I will try that!

Return to posts index

Kristian Engelsen
on Mar 30, 2010 at 2:47:03 pm

It doesn't work, I have all right things selected, and when I click outside of frame, i also unclick my keyframe. This little problem is really frustrating. Such a simple thing and it's not working

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 30, 2010 at 2:57:04 pm

Then double-chick on the footage to open it up in its own window and do it there.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Kristian Engelsen
on Mar 30, 2010 at 3:45:55 pm

Okay, What "keyframe-clock" are you suppose to press in order to adjust the mask then? To ask a simple question;) When just the layer is selected, I'm able to adjust the mask points but when the mask is selected I'm not able to adjust them.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 30, 2010 at 4:16:21 pm

Um, how long have you been using AE? My two word guess is, "not very". More on that later.
  • Find the layer with the Mask.
  • Twirl down all the mask properties.
  • Find the one named either mask path or mask shape.
  • Locate the little stopwatch icon next to the name.
  • Click on it.

You've made the initial keyframe for your mask animation. When you move the timeline cursor and adjust the mask, another keyframe will appear automatically.

Now, about my "not very" comment above:
If you have to ask such elementary, AE Raw Rookie questions as these, you are in NO way prepared nor qualified to use AE properly, in my opinion. You may find this insulting, but you really, Really, REALLY, REALLY need to learn the AE basics, or you will be good and truly hosed -- not to mention extremely frustrated -- in future attempts to use the application. You can't rely on this forum for your basic questions when it's midnight on a Saturday and you're on a deadline. Go here:

http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2010/01/getting-started-with-after-eff.h...

....and read EVERYTHING. There are valuable links near the end.

And if I offended you, I'm sorry. I'm being blunt and forthright for your own good.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Kristian Engelsen
on Mar 31, 2010 at 11:05:35 am

Well, to be offensive about it, my "basic" question over was intended to clearify my initial slight problem! Which you guys couldn't even answer, and still hasn't!Not that you should.. after reading this... I guess as a human being, I got offended;) So to call one another n00bs, rookies etc when it comes to AE's technical part is just ridiculous. Because there is so many things about AE! And I have no problem about being put on the spot, if that boosts your Guru status up a level, then fine. I am more than willing to shield boost!. By the way I'm no Andrew Kramer, I guess even mentioning him smells rookie all over, right?;)

I appreciate it;)

Return to posts index

Jeremy Allen
on Mar 31, 2010 at 2:59:48 pm

Dave's initial response to your question was very thorough and details exactly what needs to be done to animate a mask shape. To be fair, this is a very basic AE question and there is even a forum on this site for such basic questions. Since you mentioned Andrew Kramer, he has an excellent series of tutorials for getting started with After Effects.

As you said, there are a lot of technicalities with After Effects and you really have to put in some time and research to get really comfortable with the program. And you gotta understand sometimes its really difficult to know exactly what problem you are having just from reading your description of the problem on a forum. Its not like we can look over your shoulder and see exactly what steps you have taken or why something is not working for you.

Most people on this forum are more than willing to help if you show some respect, but with responses like the last one you posted, you are pretty much shooting yourself in the foot. People won't take the time to help if it doesn't seem like you even appreciate their effort.

---------------------------------------------
8core MacPro, 3.0 GHZ, 10GB RAM, OSX 10.5.6

C4D 11.5
AE CS3
FCP 6.0.1

Return to posts index

Kristian Engelsen
on Mar 31, 2010 at 3:14:46 pm

I apologize if you took this the wrong way. The comment was made from a ironic and light angle, if you didn't get that, then I'm sorry. Jeremy Allen, you didn't really get my point. To interpret someones skills in something just from the texture of forum posts is shallow and blunt. And this coming from AE Gurus, and well respected Gurus, I think THAT is like shooting your own foot. But this forum is for tech Q's so I'll leave it at that and try to contribute by helping others on the forum!

Return to posts index

Kristian Engelsen
on Mar 31, 2010 at 3:48:36 pm

Did not see this forum had a After Effects Basic section, sorry!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]