ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Interesting grading suggestions?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nico Jones
Interesting grading suggestions?
on Mar 30, 2010 at 11:07:19 am

Hi guys,

I'm about to start doing tests for a music promo featuring band members shot on greenscreen. I'm going to be putting them into an otherworldly environment, which will probably end up being quite tron-esque.

I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions of effects in AE that might be used to contribute to an overall look for the greenscreen band members? I only use a certain few now and again, and I'm sure I'm missing out on some good ones.

Any advice like 'x is a good effect when combined with y, because it gives you a look that's a bit z' would be fantastic. I'd like to keep it in AE if possible, but I do have MB looks...

Cheers,

Nico

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Interesting grading suggestions?
on Mar 30, 2010 at 3:33:13 pm

[Nico Jones] "I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions of effects in AE that might be used to contribute to an overall look for the greenscreen band members?"

In general, I'd try to integrate the the green-screened talent into the virtual set, which would most likely mean NOT stylizing them separately from the background. Once that compositing is done, you can grade the whole, integrated scene; otherwise, you run the risk of the production looking like it was green-screened.

[Nico Jones] "Any advice like 'x is a good effect when combined with y, because it gives you a look that's a bit z' would be fantastic. I'd like to keep it in AE if possible, but I do have MB looks... "

This is going to be a tough question to answer, because it's the reverse of the way most of us work. We start with knowing that we want look Z, knowing that we have footage W (which itself was shot with Z in mind), and then using X and Y as the bridge from W to Z.

What's the creative? You mentioned Tron, so I've immediately thought of glowing grids and flat planes. Do you see more to it than that? What do you plan on having the band doing in the environment?

If you're doing all the conceptual work yourself, you might start with a mood board, then develop a storyboard, then start doing your After Effects work.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Nico Jones
on Mar 31, 2010 at 9:09:39 am

Yep, all fair points. The mood board is being developed as we speak...just wondered if anyone had any random, favourite effects for grading. Ill advised, you might say.

Thanks for the response anyway! Yes I think it may well end up being white tech-shapes with neon coloured glows. The focus is on the performers though, so yes they do need to fit in but I don't want the graphics to overpower.

So to be more specific then, I'm looking to achieve a sci-fi effect. Glowing, almost blown out whites giving an eerie, incandescent feel. THe performers are going to be shot with neutral lighting (budget limitations), and neutral, black clothing. It would be good if I could almost 'colorize' the subjects' look in different ways. I've been experimenting with Levels and Glow and getting some decent results. Any other suggestions?

Many thanks,

Nico

Nico J BB

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Mar 31, 2010 at 3:10:45 pm

[Nico Jones] "So to be more specific then, I'm looking to achieve a sci-fi effect. Glowing, almost blown out whites giving an eerie, incandescent feel."

Try working in 32bpc -- this will really change the looks of your blurs and glows. Andrew Kramer has a good intro to 32bpc and HDR here on the COW; here's another tutorial he's done with an effect you might be able to use.

You just have to be careful about using effects that work in 32bpc; an 8-bit effect will throw out your high dynamic range.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Nico Jones
on Apr 1, 2010 at 4:22:37 pm

Wow, that's quite something! Annoyingly, I'd never have thought of doing that. What a difference - much more subtle. Many thanks for the tip.

Nico J BB

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]