ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Shimmering Problem w/ Keylight

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew WeckelShimmering Problem w/ Keylight
by on Mar 30, 2010 at 2:36:00 am

I recently shot some footage of some models against a green screen using the Canon 7D in full 1920 x 1080 in h264 and converted the footage to proRes 422. FYI- the footage before I key is slightly noisy(poss. my ISO was too high), and I am using keylight for all of my keying. My problem is that when I am done with all my keying- my models have a very noticeable and distracting shimmering edge.
Here is what I have tried so far with no luck: the three-pass method where I created a background, core and edge layer; super-tight junk mattes; light wraps; converting the footage to YUV-blurring some green and blue, then converting back to RGB.
These have helped to reduce the problem, but have yet to solve it completely. I have read every forum post I can find on this problem and none have yet to do the trick.
Any ideas let me know.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Shimmering Problem w/ Keylight
by on Mar 30, 2010 at 1:01:12 pm

Do you enjoy rotoscoping?

It sounds as if you've done pretty much everything you can do with keylight. You could try the Primatte keyer in Motion, which I assume you have. If Keylight fails on this footage, and Primatte fails on this footage, then rotoscoping is your final option.

Oh, wait -- you could also re-shoot. Because as you yourself wrote, "the footage before I key is slightly noisy"... and as we all know, it's tough enough to key using properly-exposed footage, to say nothing of poorly-exposed footage.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved