ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

JPG sequence says frames are missing but they aren't

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stuart ElithJPG sequence says frames are missing but they aren't
by on Mar 29, 2010 at 11:33:41 pm

Hi all,

I'm working on a very long video piece (about 55mins all up) with AE work all the way through. I have just rendered a jpg sequence of the whole thing and need to reimport it to a new AE project.

When I go to import the image sequence, I get an error dialogue saying that there are 8218 frames missing, and it only imports the first section (frames #0 to #25281). When I try again, the same number of frames are "missing" and the sequence imports to the same point, so I don't think it's just a random glitch.

However, I think that all the frames DO exist... I haven't scrolled through individually to check, but the folder says there are 82,600 files which is the right amount, and the last one is numbered 82,599, which suggests to me there hasn't been a problem in the actual render.
I have had a look at the frames around the 25,282 area to make sure they aren't corrupted frames and they are displaying fine.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to what may be happening? Is there a limit to the number of files AE can import in a sequence? This is quite a problem for me!

Return to posts index

Stuart ElithRe: JPG sequence says frames are missing but they aren't
by on Mar 30, 2010 at 12:19:44 am

OK never mind, I think I've got something figured out.
It seems there may well be a limit to the number of files available in a sequence. I have split the files into four folders, each with 20k frames, and imported each separately, and it seems to be behaving itself.

I realise that you can select a sub-set of frames in the one folder and just import those ones, but when I tried doing that it was very very slow and not giving me confidence that it would actually work. I don't know why it has such a problem with only pulling in some of the files, but it's SO MUCH quicker now that i've actually put them in folders and let it import the "entire" sequence in that folder.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: JPG sequence says frames are missing but they aren't
by on Mar 30, 2010 at 2:46:20 pm

... and don't forget that AE defaults to reading image sequences at 30 frames/sec. If you're in NTSC-Land, you have to change it to 29.97, or to 25 if it's PAL, or to 23.976 if it's 24p.... fact, you have to conform the footage in the Interpret Footage settings for just about every frame rate.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: JPG sequence says frames are missing but they aren't
by on Mar 31, 2010 at 4:46:25 am

The maximum number of frames in a still-image sequence is 32,766.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved