ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Newbie: Logo Montage

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael MillsNewbie: Logo Montage
by on Mar 29, 2010 at 5:37:05 pm

I have about 50 or so logos that a client wants to show as a fast montage in a video. I can do this in Avid, Boris, etc, but since I've got Ae, I thought I'd look into giving it a shot. The files are in Ai. The clients thought was to push the logos through on the screen one after another very quickly. Of course variations on this could work as well. Are there any great tutorials here in CC or other preset Ae layouts that would allow this to take place easily?

Thanks for your help!!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Newbie: Logo Montage
by on Mar 29, 2010 at 5:52:03 pm

It sounds like you've been around the block a couple of times.

Even so, AE is hardly an intuitive application. It can trip you up, and HOW! It's definitely NOT one of those applications where you can follow a few quick instructions and crack out an established technique. There are simply too many ways you can hang yourself.

If you're on a deadline, I don't recommend using AE for this job.

So even though you might think you're beyond such things, I STRONGLY recommend going here and reading everything:

I especially recommend following a link near he bottom to Videocopilot's AE basics. If you've done effects using other applications, you ought to be able to get through this stuff quickly. But knowing the AE Basics is essential.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Bret WilliamsRe: Newbie: Logo Montage
by on Mar 29, 2010 at 10:50:33 pm

I found that once I was shown the basics to AE (eons ago) that it was incredibly intuitive and simple at it's core. Now, I can't imaging learning it from scratch with everything they've added in the last 14 years since I started with 3.1. I certainly wouldn't think I could just jump into Motion and create something for a client. If I have extra time, sure, but not if there's any sort of tight dedline. Talk about unintuitive.... that's Motion!

Bret Williams
Web Design . Motion Graphics . Video Editing

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Newbie: Logo Montage
by on Mar 30, 2010 at 2:55:08 pm

[Bret Williams] "Talk about unintuitive.... that's Motion! "

Yeah, I agree.

But then again, I've never had the basic concepts behind the application explained to me. I'm pretty sure once I had that knowledge, life would be MUCH easier.

You know, I don't think I've EVER seen documentation for ANY application that simply explains, in non-technical terms, how the application works. What the principles are behind it. What the philosophy of the workflow is...

...and most importantly, in ONE SINGLE SECTION of the documentation.

What a boon to the newcomer that would be....

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael MillsRe: Newbie: Logo Montage
by on Apr 2, 2010 at 3:18:48 pm

Thank you for your direction regarding the matter. I've been an Avid editor for nearly 12 years and with the MC tools and a few other plugins can do some nice things, but I've heard and seen the power of what AE can do and need to get learning it. Those who are good with the AE tool have paid the price.

Again, thanks! I'll check out the link.

Michael Mills

Leap and the net will appear!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved