ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Uprezzing a AE composition from SD to HD

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tomas BianchiUprezzing a AE composition from SD to HD
by on Mar 29, 2010 at 3:54:45 pm

Hello everyone,

Im helping online a documentary in which there's a short collage sort of composition, ala David Hockney, but moving. It was designed at the offline stage, in SD NTSC 720x480. It's made from about 90 clips, in a composition fittingly set at SD NTSC as well. Now at the online stage, I have to uprezz it to full HD 1080.

The obvious way to do this would have been doing it in HD all along and just export it into SD for the offline edits, alas, this was not so. I've recaptured my 90 clips in FCP at the desired online quality, and then went to AE, hoping that when i reconnected the 90 clips, it would manage to spread them out across the canvas in proportion to it's new dimensions. Obviously didnt happen, so im now pretty much rebuilding it from scratch.

Is there any way to make AE understand that it's just an uprezz and make it spread everything out accordingly? Im guessing no, and i've got time to do it from scratch anyway, but i thought i'd let this thing out here and see if there's anything i havent thought about.

Oh and one more thing: This eventually has to go through compressor and be turned into a clip running at 23,976 (instead of its original 29,98). So far, im doing it at 29,97 all the way through and let compressor figure it out, but now i have my doubts. Would it be better to turn every clip into 23,98 before, and work in AE already at that framerate?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Uprezzing a AE composition from SD to HD
by on Mar 29, 2010 at 5:36:55 pm

[Tomas Bianchi] "Is there any way to make AE understand that it's just an uprezz and make it spread everything out accordingly? Im guessing no...."

...unfortunately for you, you guessed correctly.

[Tomas Bianchi] "Would it be better to turn every clip into 23,98 before, and work in AE already at that framerate? "

Yes. Absolutely. DO NOT work at 29.97. Forget about it.

And one more thing you should know: the film frame rate in NTSC-Land is 23.976. End of story. Camera manufacturers and software makers like to give this frame rate a nickname: 23.98. Or you also say that the camera manufacturers and software makers are lying to you about this fallacious, non-existent 23.98 frame rate.

After Effects calls a spade a spade--23.976 is 23.976. If you export 23.98 footage from FCP into AE, you will see that it's 23.976. And if you screw up royally and do your AE work in a 23.98 comp, you will have nothing but headaches later. It MUST be 23.976. Work at 23.98 at your peril.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Tomas BianchiRe: Uprezzing a AE composition from SD to HD
by on Mar 29, 2010 at 5:56:52 pm

Hello Dave,
Thanks a ton for the quick response. I'll have compressor churn out all the clips at 23,976 (and yeah, i was saying 23,98 as in the nickname, not an actual usable frame rate).

Again, thank you!

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Uprezzing a AE composition from SD to HD
by on Mar 29, 2010 at 9:02:19 pm

Would it be possible to just scale all the layers down so the fit theway they did at SD, parent them all to one layer and scale them back up?
Or, possibly, turn them 3d and push your camera in?
Whether or not it'll work depends on how your comp is set up. I figured it was worth a shot.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Tomas BianchiRe: Uprezzing a AE composition from SD to HD
by on Mar 29, 2010 at 9:31:28 pm

The scale them using parenting would have worked if it were just a scaling issue, but there's the spacial issue as well, both in X and Y planes. I guess there's some way to use math and expressions and parenting to make AE calculate were each clip should be, but it was easier to just do it from scratch.

The "turn them into 3D layers and push the camera in" would have worked great, but they already are 3D, and have a camera panning through them.

Thanks anyway Michael!

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Uprezzing a AE composition from SD to HD
by on Mar 30, 2010 at 2:44:55 am

Check out the Scale Comp script -- you might find it helpful.

File > Scripts > DemoPalette.jsx > Scale Comp

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]