ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

HRDIs and AE

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
nelson fernandesHRDIs and AE
by on Mar 29, 2010 at 3:10:06 pm

Hi guys. I'm an architectural visualizer and I work with hi-res HDRIs. When I bring them over into AE, I just cannot scrub the timeline and have realtime feedback. I have to output the HDRIs into uncompressed footage to be able to scrub the timeline. I also work with NUKE and is excellent in this aspect. Does anyone know why AE is so slow? Any workarounds?
Thank you.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: HRDIs and AE
by on Mar 29, 2010 at 5:10:37 pm

Do you have the Live Update switch turned off, perhaps?

Failing that, what's the file type and bit depth? Moreover, what's the horizontal and vertical resolution of an average image? AE can slow down on really big images. Are you using any of AE's effects on thsee images?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

nelson fernandesRe: HRDIs and AE
by on Mar 30, 2010 at 7:30:12 pm

Hi Dave. It doesn't matter what size I render to, when it's a HDRI sequence, AE chokes and doesn't update in realtime like it does on a JPEG sequence. Is this live upate switch you're talking about, the openGL switch?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: HRDIs and AE
by on Mar 30, 2010 at 7:54:24 pm

[nelson fernandes] "...when it's a HDRI sequence, AE chokes and doesn't update in realtime like it does on a JPEG sequence..."

And the whole point of HDRI is to preserve bit depth and dynameic range. If you take the sequence into Photoshop, I'm pretty sure you can probably export a TIFF or TARGA sequence. Either can be 32-bit, and either one is very AE-friendly as well; you're probably aware that AE can support 32-bit images. I say "pretty sure" because I'm one of those rare individuals who knows virtually nothing about photoshop.

[nelson fernandes] "Is this live upate switch you're talking about, the openGL switch?"

The switch you're talking about controls how AE RAM Previews, and yes, it can be toggled between Open GL and Live Update. Use Live update.

There's another switch for using Open GL for rendering in AE Preferences. It should be left off PERMANENTLY. Despite Adobe propaganda to the contrary, Open GL is for most intents and purposes useless in AE.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]