ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Compositing feedback

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kelly HuffakerCompositing feedback
by on Mar 29, 2010 at 3:35:56 am

I created this explosion using After Effects CS4 and some stock explosion footage. Just wondering if there are any tips to help composite the elements together to make it look real.

Return to posts index

scott novasicRe: Compositing feedback
by on Mar 29, 2010 at 4:24:55 am

it does not look too bad right now. I like to use a luminance matte to help give me some compositing flexibility. Precomp the footage and crank the levels to taste. This gives me access to all the compositing modes. Also by layering the footage on top of itself you can get additional looks. Saturation can be an issue, but this way you can use any number of techniques to compensate for that.
Frankly, to sell that effect more I would create more realistic glass shattering and other added effects.
Lighten some of the elements withing the blast area that are close but not touching the effect, as these things will be lit up some by the explosion.

just some thoughts....

Animation & Visual Effects
Scott Novasic
Los Angeles Ca

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Compositing feedback
by on Mar 29, 2010 at 4:36:42 am

Some extra charring around the edges of the door and window would be good. Google for some pictures of places after explosions. Look at how there is black streaks at places the flames escaped.

Also, putting in a little shake on the camera when the explosion hits is always a nice touch. Digitally is easier, since it means the flame, glass, etc. matches the motion perfectly. Nothing crazy, mind you, just a subtle, quick shake when the explosion first hits.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: Compositing feedback
by on Mar 29, 2010 at 6:53:26 pm

I'd recommend adding some glow to some of the objects in the scene. Especially 'behind' the glass in the windows where the explosion is coming from, but also on some of the exterior objects.

With such a blue scene it's odd that the explosion (which is very orange, I'm guessing you made this choice for stylistic reasons) doesn't orangify more of the surroundings.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved