ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Setting up aerender on Mac. Basics.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Forrest Maready
Setting up aerender on Mac. Basics.
on Mar 28, 2010 at 6:24:09 pm

I'm getting "command not found" whenever I invoke aerender from a Bash terminal shell. Anyone know the proper way to run aerender on a Mac? Do I double-click it (currently launches the help file and quits). Do I assign it as an environment variable or something?

Any help greatly appreciated!!!
Thanks-

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
Re: Setting up aerender on Mac. Basics.
on Mar 28, 2010 at 7:08:32 pm

You pass arguments on the command line, as described here: "Automate rendering with aerender".

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Forrest Maready
on Mar 29, 2010 at 1:58:19 am

Thanks- I'm not sure if you read my post. I'm getting a command not found error. Do you have any explanation for why I might be getting that? I've read the documentation already- that's why I posted the question.

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Mar 29, 2010 at 2:37:35 am

Yes, I read your post. I thought that I answered your question "Anyone know the proper way to run aerender on a Mac? Do I double-click it".

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Forrest Maready
on Mar 29, 2010 at 3:39:47 am

Very helpful- thanks Todd. I'm sure Adobe's proud.

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Matthew Radcliff
on Mar 29, 2010 at 5:15:40 pm

Forrest,

it sounds like either you are not in the correct folder to run aerender, or you are not calling the file correctly. Go to the folder where you have AE installed, and double check by looking for aerender in that directory. If it is there, then type in "./aerender -version" and it should return a line with the version of AE you have.

Best of luck,
Matt

Return to posts index

Forrest Maready
on Mar 29, 2010 at 8:05:21 pm

Thanks Matt- you're on to something. Double-clicking the file seems to append an exit; command to the end, not sure why. Any ideas why?

Anyways, I didn't know about the ./ trick (wasn't mentioned in the manual anywhere) so I learned something new. Thanks man!

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Matthew Radcliff
on Mar 29, 2010 at 8:14:12 pm

Forrest, as far as I understand it, you wouldn't click on "aerender." That is an executable that you run from the command line (through the Terminal utility, for instance). The flags and settings are all described in the article that Todd linked to above. You can also type "./aerender -help" and get an output in the Terminal window.

For instance, "./aerender -proj myProject.aep" will render the comps in the queue in the After Effects project called myProject.aep

When you double-click aerender, it is the same as typing "./aerender" in the Terminal. Since you aren't telling it what to render, it starts up and finds no input, so it then exits the program.

Return to posts index

dave irion
on Mar 31, 2010 at 8:02:56 pm

this guy made a droplet AErender script, simply drop your project onto it:

http://www.andrewandoru.com/2010/03/17/labs-aerender/

Return to posts index

holby larsen
on Aug 14, 2010 at 3:54:28 pm

you have to add ./ to aerender

first cd to your ae directory (cd /Applications/Adobe\ After\ Effects\ CS5)

not: aerender -project /Volumes/mydisk/myproject.aep

but: ./aerender -project /Volumes/mydisk/myproject.aep

otherwise you get the "aerender: command not found"

fubbi

fubbi.com

Return to posts index

Jan Vork
on Jun 15, 2016 at 1:44:07 pm

All instructions on the page you are referring to, are with backslashes, so Windows only, I think. Just like the .exe file.

http://www.jaydude.nl

Return to posts index

Joe Clay
on Jun 17, 2016 at 6:38:36 am

You're dredging up a 6 year old thread, but since we're here I'll add this tutorial I made on the subject a couple of weeks ago for anyone else who stumbles upon this.

http://workbench.tv/tutorials/2016-06-03_UsingAerender/

Joe Clay
Workbench.tv

Return to posts index

Jan Vork
on Jun 17, 2016 at 6:46:28 am

Thanks for the tutorial!

Jaydude

PS
Welcome to the eternity of the http://www... :-) Your post still pops up when searching for tips. While your great recent tutorial was not found (by me). Time for Google to implement expiry dates, of some other way of outdating technical descriptions.

Return to posts index

Joe Clay
on Jun 17, 2016 at 7:23:51 pm

Indeed. :)

I'm kind of surprised the threads don't close here. A lot of the newest posts are in old threads. It seems to happen frequently. On the plus side, it's all still relevant information for the most part. Have a great weekend!

Joe Clay
Workbench.tv

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]