ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

AE render settings if using Adobe Media Encoder for final?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott MorrisonAE render settings if using Adobe Media Encoder for final?
by on Mar 28, 2010 at 3:42:17 pm

Hello all,

I am getting ready to finalize my composition for render. It will be a DVD (standard def) 720x480 output format. From what I've read here on the forum, many suggest NOT using AE for final compression due to quality issues. That being the case, which render option should I use for the highest quality output? AVI? I will likely be using Adobe Media Encoder for the final compression, using its highest quality settings.

Is my workflow...um...workable? Should I be using something else for the final compression?

If it matters any, the composition is using 3d animation from Maya, imported as a TIF sequence. Thanks in advance for the help.

Scott Morrison
Just an amateur trying to learn

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: AE render settings if using Adobe Media Encoder for final?
by on Mar 29, 2010 at 12:51:53 am

If you're not doing the final compression in After Effects, then creating a QuickTime movie with a lossless codec (e.g., PNG, Animation) set at 100% quality is a good way to go.

Then, you can use this movie as input into your encoding/compression program, like Adobe Media Encoder.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Scott MorrisonRe: AE render settings if using Adobe Media Encoder for final?
by on Mar 29, 2010 at 2:04:16 pm

Thanks Todd. That helps...but I have a question...
Is the interim step necessary? I am using Adobe Encore for the DVD production. Does Encore not have a suitable compression method built within? If so, in theory I should not need the Adobe Media Encoder at all correct?

Lastly, why doesn AE NOT use the same compression methods as Encore and Media Encoder. It seems to me that all products should be using the same codecs and therefore have identical quality output.

Just a curious software engineer's mind working too hard. Your help appreciated.

Scott Morrison

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: AE render settings if using Adobe Media Encoder for final?
by on Mar 29, 2010 at 2:16:48 pm

[Scott Morrison] "seems to me that all products should be using the same codecs and therefore have identical quality output. Just a curious software engineer's mind working too hard"

After effects and premiere were both purchased by Adobe from other software developers... I THINK Encore, too. And as a software engineer, you're aware what that means: different data structures, different algorithms, etc... and for data as complicated as video to boot. Plus other considerations, like accommodating new industry trends.

So what's the best way to get the files around under these circumstances? Lowest common denominator. To my way of thinking, it's a wonder that some applications work together at all.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Mar 29, 2010 at 2:32:43 pm

Ahhh...the light has come on. Thanks Dave. I didn't know that. Dang, we c++/c# software engineers sure are pesky.

So as long as I have your (or anyone's) ear, here's my workflow. Please let me know if I could/should be doing things better...

From my HD video camera, I do initial editing in Sony Vegas (someday to be replaced with Premiere Pro...maybe). I render the raw .m2ts files to .m2v from Vegas. MOST files then go straight into Encore, where the DVD will be built and burned.

Sometimes, however, I add titles, special effects and animation, all composited in AE. From AE, I render out as raw, uncompressed .mov files. Then, these are added to the Encore project and the DVD is burned.

Sound reasonable? Yours and everyone's help, very much appreciated.

Scott Morrison

Return to posts index

by on Mar 29, 2010 at 2:41:02 pm

[Scott Morrison] "Sound reasonable?"

Almost! And here comes one of those data-structurey, very common things to watch out for:

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, AVCHD, mp4, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on Mar 29, 2010 at 3:07:50 pm

Sheesh...what a pain. I think all software engineers should be flogged.

Anyway, thanks for the valuable information. Just to re-hash...

If I have footage which is destined for AE, then render (or convert) it to an uncompressed .mov format (for example). That way, AE is happy and all will be right with the world. Correct?

Once again, I am in your debt.

Scott Morrison

Return to posts index

by on Mar 29, 2010 at 3:21:31 pm

[Scott Morrison] "Correct? "

Yup.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]