ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

mpeg-2 flicker/shake only on standard def tv but not hd tv.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
chad ramos
mpeg-2 flicker/shake only on standard def tv but not hd tv.
on Mar 26, 2010 at 7:13:47 pm

Hi,

I am trying to wrap my head around something. I currently am rendering a project out of encore with no compression. I am then using ProCoder to convert it to an mpeg-2 file. I then us this in encore to authour a dvd. All works fine except for one issue. When I play the DVD back on a HDTV there are no issues but when I play it back on a standard def tv There is a flickering/shacking that goes on the edges of the video (Where the video is being letter boxed). I have no clue what might be the cause of this and was wondering if anyone might have an idea?

REgards

Chad

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: mpeg-2 flicker/shake only on standard def tv but not hd tv.
on Mar 26, 2010 at 8:25:15 pm

Would this work have been done with interlaced video? You might be seeing the scan lines at the very top.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Mar 26, 2010 at 8:26:30 pm

That's probably to do with interlacing. It happens on a lot of commercially available Hollywood DVD's too, btw.

I'm assuming you meant you rendred a video out of After Effects and then used ProCoder. What sort of file are you rendering out of After Effects? What size, pixel aspect ratio, frame rate? Also, what kind of settings do you have for interlacing?

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 26, 2010 at 8:43:04 pm

[Michael Szalapski] "It happens on a lot of commercially available Hollywood DVD's too, btw. "

Not to mention the credit rolls! I couldn't believe how bad the credit roll looked on the latest Star Trek movie. Hey, if Hollywood can't get it right, I don't know if I'll ever again get obsessed about my AE credit rolls not looking perfect.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
OT: Industry stuff
on Mar 26, 2010 at 9:20:21 pm

I KNOW, Star Trek's credits were terrible! A lot of Hollywood DVDs are coming out with poorly done stuff. It's like they're so wrapped up in the new technology that they forget that the majority of their audience are still watching their stuff in SD.
Also, is it just me? It seems more and more commercials that are being broadcast are being done by idiots with no concept of field order. We're talking national spots here! Graphics move across the screen all kinds of jumpy.
COME ON PEOPLE!
Sorry, back to the topic at hand...

- The Great Szalam

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

chad ramos
on Mar 26, 2010 at 9:18:54 pm

I am rendering out as a lossless Quicktime animation, 720 x 480 (3:2), and 29.97 fps. Excuse my green thum but where am I suppose to be looking for the interlace settings and what would I be looking to do once I have found such settings. :)

Regards

Chad

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Mar 26, 2010 at 9:27:51 pm

This page in the help file mentions it.
It's called field rendering in AE. The field order matters greatly when it comes to SD. If it's wrong, all the motion looks weird. DV is often lower field first. Most modern DVD players can play progressive files and it often looks more film-y that way. Try rendering it progressive (no fields) and with fields (both upper first and lower first) and see which you like best.

- The Great Szalam

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 26, 2010 at 9:28:26 pm

You'll find information on AE & Field order here:
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/AfterEffects/9.0/WS3878526689cb91655866c1103906...

...and here:
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/AfterEffects/9.0/WS3878526689cb91655866c1103a4f...

Incidentally, the field order for 720x480 -- 4x3 or widescreen, doesn't matter -- is Lower Field First. Some applications refer to it as the Even field first.

If you incorporate interlaced footage in your AE comps, you CAN NOT ignore field order. You do so at your peril.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]