ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

sandy text?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hamid Rohi-Bilverdysandy text?
by on Mar 26, 2010 at 11:23:10 am

hi
I want to make a precomposed text layer blow away like sand. I looked at trapcode form tutorial. I did AK suretarget tutorial and when the camera moves over to the last text layer i want it to blow away like sand. Is there a after effect plugin which is more suitable for this? Cause in the trapcode tutorial they use lienear wipe and solid backgrounds and i i have all these different element and backgrounds going on- and the textlayer is a 3d layer. Any suggestions?

Return to posts index

Alan LloydRe: sandy text?
by on Mar 26, 2010 at 5:26:22 pm

Is there some reason this can't be done as a practical effect?

Return to posts index

Hamid Rohi-BilverdyRe: sandy text?
by on Mar 26, 2010 at 5:46:32 pm

my main 3d textlayer has 2 textlayer which is parented to the main. When i use the linear wipe for a starter it only apply to the main, so i have the 2 other text layers with no effect. All the tutorials i seen are made with one blak bg, i have all the elements as seen in AK suretarget tutorial, can i work with this?

Return to posts index

by on Mar 26, 2010 at 8:14:09 pm

What I was referring to was a real-world effect.

Make up your text characters with sand, salt, sugar, baking soda, whatever, on a black background. (Black foamcore would work, it's pretty non-reflective and won't trap particles.)

Aim some canned air, or a hose from a compressor, at the text and blow it away.

Make sure to record it.

Not everything has to be computer-generated.

Return to posts index

Jeremy AllenRe: sandy text?
by on Mar 26, 2010 at 9:25:26 pm

[Alan Lloyd] "Not everything has to be computer-generated."

This sounds great in theory, until the client decides to change the font, and they need the final RIGHT NOW! I agree, practical effects often look way better and certainly more realistic, but in a lot of fast-paced project situations they just aren't... well, practical.

---------------------------------------------
8core MacPro, 3.0 GHZ, 10GB RAM, OSX 10.5.6

C4D 11.5
AE CS3
FCP 6.0.1

Return to posts index

by on Mar 26, 2010 at 10:41:41 pm

His questions are six hours apart.

This could have been done as a practical effect several times already.

I like using computers as much as the next guy. They're great tools. So are bread knives - which one will work better slicing a multigrain loaf?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: sandy text?
by on Mar 26, 2010 at 9:39:37 pm

[Hamid Rohi-Bilverdy] "I want to make a precomposed text layer blow away like sand. "

Have you thought to look through the COW's tutorials? I found this in about two minutes: http://library.creativecow.net/articles/eriksson_emanuel/sand.php

Yeah, it's for an older version of AE, but it ought to do the trick rather nicely.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]