ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Adobe After Effects 7.0 Crashing/Possible Fix Question

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Seth BloomAdobe After Effects 7.0 Crashing/Possible Fix Question
by on Mar 25, 2010 at 6:09:32 pm

I've had Adobe After Effects 7.0 for 3 years now, all the while thinking that it could only work on my Mac G5. I have a 2007 MacPro (2.66 Ghz Quad, 5GB RAM) where it is also installed. However, every time I open it, it crashes right away. I thought this might be because it was not able to be used on an Intel platform. I've seen other fixes stated on here, such as the one from Graham Jones in 2006, that say if you adjust the memory usage down to 30%, you should get it to work. However, my question is this - if the program just crashes whenever I start, how can I adjust the memory usage on the program? Is this something I can do from my Finder where I find the program folder?

If anyone knows the answer, I'd greatly appreciate the help you can offer. Also, I've never heard of Rosetta, so I'm not sure how that would factor into this. I guess you color me ignorant on that one. but if anyone could explain what it is and how it is used, I'd be grateful on that as well.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Adobe After Effects 7.0 Crashing/Possible Fix Question
by on Mar 27, 2010 at 4:24:08 pm

Rosetta is an emulator that runs on Intel-archtitecture chips. Programs written for PowerPC chips can run inside that emulator.

Emulators add an extra layer of computation (i.e., slowness), so running something in Rosetta is not a good idea if you need speed.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved