ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Covering up holes in pants of video footage

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan ReasorCovering up holes in pants of video footage
by on Mar 25, 2010 at 5:10:49 pm

Hello,
I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. I am needing to remove holes from a person's pants in video footage. What is the proper workflow? Is there a tutorial that addresses this? So far all I have watched are tutorials that kind of address this issue but do not solve the problem. Do I make the corrections in photoshop and then send the corrected still frame into into AE to work from? Can all of this be done in AE? The Video Co-pilot and Creative Cow tutorials have not solved the issue...maybe I'm not looking in the right place.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Covering up holes in pants of video footage
by on Mar 25, 2010 at 7:37:57 pm

Are you basically trying to clone from one part of the pants over the part with the hole? Is there no way to reshoot with pants that haven't got holes? It'll be a lot faster.
From Dave LaRonde:
Dave's Stock Answer #2:

When you're out on a shoot, and you say, "we'll fix this in post" without knowing PRECISELY HOW you're going to fix it in post, don't shoot it! You'll only end up shooting it over again.

Since post typically costs three times the cost of production, fixing something in post is not a way to save money, but rather a way to spend more of it.

And, before you say "well fix it in post," always consider who's doing the work, especially if you're the one doing the editing.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Ryan ReasorRe: Covering up holes in pants of video footage
by on Mar 25, 2010 at 9:48:32 pm

Thanks for your response. We are looking to avoid a re-shoot. Thus far we have corrected the still image in photoshop so the pants no longer have holes in them. I then exported to AE. I was thinking I could somehow paste and track these layers(?) onto the 5 sec. long video footage that had the holes in the pants. There are two holes, both in the person's kneecaps.

One problem is the shots are mostly hand held so the cam. moves slightly. I know there is a way to do this but it seem excessively complicated for something so simple. Any direction would be appreciated.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Covering up holes in pants of video footage
by on Mar 25, 2010 at 11:02:13 pm

[Ryan Reasor] "I was thinking I could somehow paste and track these layers(?) onto the 5 sec. long video footage that had the holes in the pants. There are two holes, both in the person's kneecaps... One problem is the shots are mostly hand held so the cam. moves slightly...."

That pasting and tracking stuff won't cut it. Not with one single good-looking frame. Too many things conspire against it.

I presume the subject moves. He might even walk or turn. His image may grow larger or smaller in the picture. In short, he's moving in 3D space. There isn't a practical way to do what you propose in AE.

I'm glad you got a single, good-looking image out of photoshop. Are you now prepared to do that to each subsequent frame in the shot? That's about 150 patch jobs, perhaps a few more.... and those patches have to match from frame to frame.

Only you can weigh the investment in your time against the investment in a reshoot. But you can see where this discussion is going.....

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Mar 26, 2010 at 1:16:57 am

If the person doesn't move a lot you can motion track the fixed pants to their legs. Have you used the motion tracker before?

- The Great Szalam

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Ryan ReasorRe: Covering up holes in pants of video footage
by on Mar 26, 2010 at 1:59:47 am

One of the shots that needs edited has a woman crouched down in a corner. The cameraman (Sony EX3) is shooting down on her. Luckily, she does not move. The only slight movement comes from the hand held camera.
No, I have not used motion tracker. Is this hard to master? Any other motion tracker tutorials than the ones on C.C. you would recommend? I am somewhat surprised I have to actually edit every single frame. I would have thought there would be an easier more sophisticated fix for this.
I have also tried addressing this problem with Color with little success. I guess I would run into the same issues with Shake? Thanks to the Great Szalam and Mr. LaRonde for their respsonses.

Return to posts index

by on Mar 26, 2010 at 1:56:57 pm

You don't necessarily have to go frame-by-frame, it just depends on your footage.

There are tons of things about the motion tracker on the internet, but just reading through the After Effects help is more than enough. Not only does it describe the feature set, but it links to tons of useful tutorials. Adobe's Todd Kopriva has done an excellent job on revamping AE's help to be extremely...well...helpful.

You might look into applying the motion tracking information to a null and using it to drive the clone stamp tool in AE.

- The Great Szalam

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]