ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

What is the difference between Multiplexing: DVD and Mulitplexing: None

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
chad ramosWhat is the difference between Multiplexing: DVD and Mulitplexing: None
by on Mar 25, 2010 at 4:54:09 pm

Hello,

I was wondering what the difference between DVD an None are when setting the Multiplexer of a MPEG2-DVD export.

REgards

Chad

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: What is the difference between Multiplexing: DVD and Mulitplexing: None
by on Mar 25, 2010 at 5:30:29 pm

It's irrelevant, because you should know this:

Dave's Stock Answer #3:

Don't use AE to compress files for final delivery. The various compressors are there only to make quick 'n dirty files showing a project's progress to producers, clients, the kids, etc. AE is incapable of doing multipass encoding, a crucial feature that greatly improves the image quality of H.264 and MPEG-type files in particular.

Render a high-quality file from AE, and use a different application to do the compression. Popular ones are Adobe Media Encoder, Sorenson Squeeze and Apple's Compressor, which comes bundled with Final Cut Suite. Even compressing in Quicktime Pro is better than compressing in AE.

Making good-looking compressed files is almost as much an art as it is a science. It is NOT straightforward at all. I recommend asking a few questions at the COW's Compression Techniques forum.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

chad ramosRe: What is the difference between Multiplexing: DVD and Mulitplexing: None
by on Mar 25, 2010 at 5:41:10 pm

So you are suggesting I should export via "Video for Windows" and use a third party encoder?

Regards

Chad

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: What is the difference between Multiplexing: DVD and Mulitplexing: None
by on Mar 25, 2010 at 6:00:39 pm

No, I'm suggesting that you RENDER using AE's Render Queue -- don't export -- a LOSSLESS or UNCOMPRESSED avi, then use a third-party encoder.

Video for Windows compresses the snot out of you work, resulting in degradation of the image... not exactly an auspicious start when going to DVD.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

chad ramosRe: What is the difference between Multiplexing: DVD and Mulitplexing: None
by on Mar 25, 2010 at 6:11:23 pm

I am sorry...I ment using the render queue. I do believe there is a mix up. The default format for the render queue on a windows platform is "Video For Windows". Which shows up as "No Compressiong" on "Output Module Settings". I just did this to a 10 min composition and it rendered a .avi that is 48+ gigs. I believe this seems correct considering the size of the file. Does this seem correct to you?

Regards

Chad

Return to posts index

by on Mar 25, 2010 at 6:16:55 pm

It depends on the duration of your file. Is it 20 seconds? No. Is it an hour or more? Yes.

You'll have to either delve into AE's online help for an explanation of those Output Module settings or wait for somebody else to chime in... I'm a Mac guy.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on Mar 25, 2010 at 6:25:15 pm

As stated in my above post the duration of the video is 10 mins. The render matches up to the same duration. Which only leads to me to believe that 48.1 gb file is the proper "uncompressed" file. Especially considering when rendering it stated "No Compression" and "lossless". None the less thanks for the help. I will take a look at a few other resources to help further verify.

Regards

Chad

Return to posts index

by on Mar 25, 2010 at 11:39:48 pm

Well, if it is indeed uncompressed -- as opposed to lossless -- 48 gigs for 20 minutes is probably in the ballpark. When you go to make the files for DVD, they ought to look pretty good.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Nathan HallRe: What is the difference between Multiplexing: DVD and Mulitplexing: None
by on Mar 26, 2010 at 7:58:38 am

Add to render queue > output module > format = quicktime > format options = animation > ok > render

Then compress it in ame if you have cs4.
As long as you have qt installed on your pc you should have that option.
That is the best solution for what you're wanting.

http://www.anchormedistudio.com

Return to posts index

by on Mar 26, 2010 at 2:06:14 pm

I don't know what this means but your suggested method actually yeiled a smaller file then my early course of action.

Quicktime Animation = 37.0 gb
"Video for Windows" = 48.1 gb

So I assume the "Video for Windows" setting (which exports what I believe is a uncompressed avi) would still be the better choice.

What do you think.

Regards

Chad

Return to posts index

Nathan HallRe: What is the difference between Multiplexing: DVD and Mulitplexing: None
by on Mar 26, 2010 at 5:16:57 pm

Animation is a lossless codec when set to 100%. I suggested it because it can support alpha channels (if millions of colors+ is selected), it's 4:4:4, it's cross platform and any setup with Quicktime installed will be able to work with the file.
Unless you have a workflow issue that requires avi I would stick with the QT format.

http://www.anchormedistudio.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]