ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

removing CS3 for CS4 (and CS5!)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Coleremoving CS3 for CS4 (and CS5!)
by on Mar 25, 2010 at 4:03:05 pm

I have CS3 and CS4 complete suites on my desktop and laptop. On the desktop, it is no big deal just to leave the prior generation intact. On the laptop, with a smaller system drive, it's different. And with CS5 on the way, I'd like to learn more about what I can safely remove when I upgrade.

How will third-party plug-ins behave on migration if I remove one CS for the next one? Is there a way to "test" a removal by renaming folders?

Thanks.

Bob C

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: removing CS3 for CS4 (and CS5!)
by on Mar 25, 2010 at 5:01:33 pm

The short answer is that you should be safe uninstalling CS3 versions of the applications using the uninstaller (not doing it manually by deleting folders), as long as you do this _before_ you install the new version. You can mess things up if you uninstall the old version after you install the new version.

> How will third-party plug-ins behave on migration if I remove one CS for the next one?

Since all After Effects plug-ins must be updated to new versions for After Effects CS5, this question is moot for moving to CS5. See this post by Michael Coleman.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Bob ColeRe: removing CS3 for CS4 (and CS5!)
by on Mar 25, 2010 at 9:04:38 pm

[Todd Kopriva] "you should be safe uninstalling CS3 versions of the applications using the uninstaller (not doing it manually by deleting folders), as long as you do this _before_ you install the new version."

Too late for that for me now. But for future reference, are you saying that uninstalling before upgrading will be safe as far as third-party filters are concerned?

Bob C

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: removing CS3 for CS4 (and CS5!)
by on Mar 25, 2010 at 9:09:09 pm

I don't know the details of all of the third-party installers.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Bruce WainerRe: removing CS3 for CS4 (and CS5!)
by on Mar 26, 2010 at 12:55:11 am

as long as the licenses permit, the safest thing to do would be to uninstall all third party filters, then uninstall the old version of CS, then install the new version, and finally install the third party filters. You have to make sure though that the installer will let you use the same key (if there is one) on the same machine to reinstall - I don't know about third party filters, but some software is one install only without the company's approval, even on the same machine.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]