ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

macbook pro after effects cs4 frame by frame rendering horrible

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
chris mclaughlinmacbook pro after effects cs4 frame by frame rendering horrible
by on Mar 25, 2010 at 12:45:12 am

Hi there...with the latest news just out with adobe launching cs5 I am wondering if i should have waited before upgrading to after effects cs4...I came from using AE 6.5 and dealt with the slow frame by frame renders on a PPC powerbook....why and please why am i still experiencing the same thing..i have a few comps that start out ok and then stop and render frame by frame...some of the effects on the comp are "CC Light Swipe" and "roughen edges". Both affects are applied to photoshop CS4 .psd layers. When it gets to those layers its frame by frame by frame and so on...how miserable....Ae is running on Snow Leopard... 3.06 macbook pro..4gb Ram...with the processor set to highest performance....open GL is disabled...disk cache is enabled..2000 mb to cache to desktop being its not the same drive as my media...multiprocessing is set to off..my comp is dv widescreen 720 x 480 29.97fps SD...the Ram preferences are set to default and is allowing 1.79 Gb for after effects and 0.5 to the rest of the system..Am I missing something????? or is just the way it is....do i need 8gb of RAM???...Is CS4 truly not 64 bit and cs5 will solve these issues??.frustrated and in awe...any input would be greatly appreciated...
thanks
chris

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: macbook pro after effects cs4 frame by frame rendering horrible
by on Mar 25, 2010 at 1:21:33 pm

After Effects always renders frame by frame. What's in each frame determines how long it takes per frame. Sometimes it can look like it's doing more at a time because it moves so fast, but if there are a lot of things happening it will take longer per frame.
I'm using a computer with dual quad-core processors and 16 gigs of RAM. And even with that kind of horsepower, it's not at all uncommon for me to see one frame take several seconds to render. Now, I often work in HD with 3d layers, particle systems and other render hogs in the mix, but that's just normal for motion graphics work. You may think it's slow, but 10 years ago people would be willing to kill to get speed like you have.

Also, After Effects 9 (CS4) is in no way 64 bit. CS5 is the first time we get to taste the 64 bit glory. Depending on how long ago you purchased CS4, you will probably be entitled to a cheaper upgrade cost.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

chris mclaughlinRe: macbook pro after effects cs4 frame by frame rendering horrible
by on Mar 25, 2010 at 10:53:09 pm

Hi Michael...thanks for the response...i understand what you are saying but does that mean i will still get one after the other consecutive frames rendering one by one...when it renders it goes like this....numbers are frames...12...13...14...15...16...17 an so on..usually AE seems to render other projects like 6 or 7 frames at a time. I have not had where AE takes more than a second to render just one frame....is there any little short cut or settings to play with to help speed it up just a little...does it matter what kind of footage it is...should still images be JPEGS and not PSD's....
thanks again...looking forward to CS5 if that's the case
chris

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: macbook pro after effects cs4 frame by frame rendering horrible
by on Mar 25, 2010 at 11:06:14 pm

[chris mclaughlin] "...I have not had where AE takes more than a second to render just one frame...."

Oh, well, then! You're just an AE baby! Just wait 'til you you get up to 30 seconds or more per frame, Little Buckaroo!

Four or five lights casting shadows... big layers with multiple effects... a few layers with time consuming effects like Remove Grain... add a little motion blur... boom! You're there!

You get used to it.

However, you need to trick that machine of yours out with RAM. 4 Gigs is close to nothing right now, and it'll get worse in the soon-to-be brave new world of AE.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: macbook pro after effects cs4 frame by frame rendering horrible
by on Mar 26, 2010 at 1:14:20 am

For your JPEG vs. PSD question, try a test.

Dave is correct in his post. It's odd that you've never experienced AE taking a while. Either that or you haven't done much in AE.

Here's a page on improving your AE performance.

- The Great Szalam

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

chris mclaughlinRe: macbook pro after effects cs4 frame by frame rendering horrible
by on Mar 26, 2010 at 3:21:34 am

ok thanks...well back to the rendering I go...its all not that bad because the results are worth waiting for...thanks again for your input
chris

Return to posts index

Dom PanicoRe: macbook pro after effects cs4 frame by frame rendering horrible
by on May 14, 2011 at 5:03:51 am

I just got after effects and my new macbook pro with an i7 processor and 4 gb of memory. whenever i open after effects and import any clip of footage i have from my 1080p camera all HD, i press space bar to play it. And it goes very slow. I assume this is because it is rendering, but i mean it goes REALLY slow. more than 30 seconds and it slows down my entire computer in general. Once i close the program my entire computer studders because it is having a hard time to catch up from the Really long rendering job from just importing and testing the footage. Why is that?

Return to posts index

by on May 16, 2011 at 12:57:25 pm

Why? Well, for one thing, you made the mistake of not learning the basics of AE before you jumped in. There is no good reason to use the spacebar to preview things in AE. I honestly don't even know why that's a function. Read up on previewing here [link].

Secondly, what version of AE are you using? If it's CS4 then Dave's Stock Answer applies:
Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, mp4, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

- The Great Szalam

Return to posts index

Mark MallettRe: macbook pro after effects cs4 frame by frame rendering horrible
by on Aug 2, 2011 at 7:41:59 am

A different codec like.....?

Return to posts index

by on Aug 2, 2011 at 2:08:33 pm

Quicktime with the PNG codec (NOT a PNG sequence) is pretty good. It's a technically lossless file format, but is (usually) smaller in file size than Quicktime with the Animation codec. Be warned: Lossless video file sizes are going to be huge compared to the highly compressed formats off of most cameras.

- The Great Szalam

Return to posts index

by on Aug 2, 2011 at 2:47:09 pm

I'm shooting on a JVC HM-100 which is direct to Quicktime format (.mov). Is this a good format for Adobe Effects, and if it is, I can't say I am experiencing much better rendering than the above users. It's awful, actually, just to apply warp stabilizer to a clip.

Return to posts index

by on Aug 2, 2011 at 2:53:52 pm

[Mark Mallett] "I'm shooting on a JVC HM-100 which is direct to Quicktime format (.mov)."

Do you know about codecs? What's the codec of the quicktime movies this camera shoots?

[Mark Mallett] "It's awful, actually, just to apply warp stabilizer to a clip."

How much memory is in your machine? Warp Stabilizer is a very RAM-intensive feature; a small mount of memory means it takes a LONG time to analyze a clip. If it's a very long clip -- say more than 30 seconds -- it gets worse in terms of time. If you're using a long-gop codec, it only exacerbates the situation.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on Aug 2, 2011 at 2:59:41 pm

I think it's SONY XDCAM EX Code....

Return to posts index

by on Aug 2, 2011 at 3:05:27 pm

Well, there's one small snippet of information. Yes, it's long-gop, which tends to increase the time need for analysis.

The two wild cards remaining are RAM and duration of clip. Without knowing that, we can't give you a straight answer. I presume you're on a Macbook Pro since you're in this particular thread, hence no questions about processors.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]