ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Missing vector elements (ai. cs3 import) in AE CS3 playback preview! :(

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marc JohnstonMissing vector elements (ai. cs3 import) in AE CS3 playback preview! :(
by on Mar 24, 2010 at 9:20:48 am

Hello.

I'm creating an animation in After Effects CS3 by importing .ai vector files from Illustrator CS3... I've done this at uni with no problems on the iMacs there, but when I try to work in AE on my Windows Vista (problem solved?) at home, some of the body-parts of my vectored character are suddenly missing. The bounding boxes are still there, and each body part has its own layer in a single .ai file... And some of the body parts are still visible. At first I thought this might've just been a preview render glitch and that everything would be intact upon rendering (didn't make sense that some layers were visible and others weren't within the same imported .ai file)... but even after rending a short bit of the animation it seems some sections are completely gone. I've checked the .ai file and everything in there is as it should be, so I'm really confused as to why everything doesn't transfer over to AE CS3.

Note: I need to work in CS3 instead of CS4 as the majority of work is done on the CS3 versions at uni... and it's difficult (and risky) to go between CS3 & 4 from what I've heard.

Thanks, hope to hear from one of you soon, it's due in a week! :(

Return to posts index

Erik MickelsonRe: Missing vector elements (ai. cs3 import) in AE CS3 playback preview! :(
by on Jan 18, 2011 at 7:40:04 pm

No answers on this? I am having the same problem. I do all the work and can see everything. Then all of a sudden layers are not visible anymore!?! Not all layers, just some or most, rendering glitch, preview glitch?

MacPro Dual Core2Duo 3.0Ghz, ATI 4870, 6GB ram, 4TB SATA Raid that now works in SL, SLeopard 10.6.sumthin', FCPStudio 3, QT 7, Kone LHe

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Missing vector elements (ai. cs3 import) in AE CS3 playback preview! :(
by on Jan 18, 2011 at 8:08:40 pm

Okay, this is getting weird:
  • 2 different guys
  • 2 different versions of AE
  • 2 different OS's
  • 2 different kinds of processors
  • 2 different platforms
  • 2 different application bit depths
  • Same Problem!

The only thing you guys have in common are the Illustrator documents.
And what's even weirder, these are the ONLY two instances I've ever heard involving Illustrator-AE layer naughtiness.

Do the folks on the Illustrator forum have any clues?

Okay, I just thought of another thing you two guys might have in common: are you both using servers for your AE work? Are the servers acting a bit wiggy? Are all the operating systems all singing off the same page in the songbook by running the same version?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Erik MickelsonRe: Missing vector elements (ai. cs3 import) in AE CS3 playback preview! :(
by on Jan 18, 2011 at 8:40:41 pm

I have had these problems for a LOOONG time and with different versions of AE. CS4 had some major problems with Illustrator files. Mostly the disappearing layers or render glitches. I use Boris Continuum and have found that it is touch and go using Boris. Machine restarts sometimes work, sometimes don't. Then, whammo, everything works again. It could be a day later, a minute, a week??? It leaves the user clueless and un-trusting of Adobe etc...

I figured out my current problem just a few minutes ago. I had to turn off Multiprocessing on my Octo core with 8GB of ram. The render worked and I am not touching the Multiproc switch again. I guess I'll be a lot slower from now on. Two steps forward, twenty steps back. In hind-site, I would have been fine just keeping my 1st gen MacPro.

MacPro Dual Core2Duo 3.0Ghz, ATI 4870, 6GB ram, 4TB SATA Raid that now works in SL, SLeopard 10.6.sumthin', FCPStudio 3, QT 7, Kone LHe

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Missing vector elements (ai. cs3 import) in AE CS3 playback preview! :(
by on Jan 18, 2011 at 8:49:10 pm

[Erik Mickelson] "I had to turn off Multiprocessing on my Octo core with 8GB of ram. The render worked and I am not touching the Multiproc switch again."

Oooh, now THERE'S a new and significant fact! I have a dual quad-core Mac Pro with 8 GB at work, and I never, ever use multiprocessing: not enough memory to make it worth my while.

At home I have a dual quad-core, but it has 24 GB RAM on it. Multiprocessing works just fine.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Jan 18, 2011 at 9:16:15 pm

Oooh, now THERE'S a new and significant fact!
It is not only significant, it is also insignificant! I have used Multiprocessing for a few years now and rarely have problems with it. This is the first time that I have gone through my troubleshooting scramble that when turning off MP was the fix. I have used MP in the past very successfully. YMMV

Return to posts index

Kevin CarlsonRe: Missing vector elements (ai. cs3 import) in AE CS3 playback preview! :(
by on Mar 1, 2011 at 8:49:08 pm

I have had this problem too! I'm new to AE and so not very proficient, but I know this issue is not supposed to be one.
I have a super simple Illustrator file I brought in as a comp and out of the blue it just disappears. If I click in unloaded places in the time-line, the image pops up, but as soon as the yellow load bar completes, the image disappears. The only way to fix it is to start over and bring in the Illustrator file again.
I'm using CS5 10.0.0.458.

Return to posts index

by on Mar 1, 2011 at 11:33:25 pm

Try clicking the "continous rasterize" check box at the root of your Illustrator file(if it's nested that means the lowest level). Works for me in CS5 now.

MacPro 2.26 octo, NVidia GT120, 16GB ram, 4TB SATA Raid that now works in SL, SLeopard 10.6.6, FCPStudio 3, QT 7, Kone LHe

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]