ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Animating one endpoint of a path while keeping other end stationary

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew Anderson
Animating one endpoint of a path while keeping other end stationary
on Mar 24, 2010 at 12:30:18 am

I'm doing some motion graphics in AE where I want to animate the location of one end of a path while keeping the other end stationary.

This seems like it should be dead simple, but I've spent a few days experimenting in AE and googling around without finding anything. Does anybody have any suggestions or links to tutorials on this?

More about the scene: The shot is of a car passing by. There's stationary text over the video, and I want a line to point between the text and the moving car as the car moves through the shot.

Return to posts index

Brian Charles
Re: Animating one endpoint of a path while keeping other end stationary
on Mar 24, 2010 at 2:58:23 am

You could track the car and apply the tracker's positional data to a null. Use the beam effect (with inside and outside colors set to the same value), set the starting point to the text and the ending point to the null with an expression by alt/option click on the ending point stopwatch and pick whip the end poit to the null's position.

Return to posts index

Michael Heid
on Mar 24, 2010 at 1:23:17 pm

If you have cs4, try using the shape tool to create a shape and add "trim paths" to it. You can keyframe start and end.

Return to posts index

Matthew Anderson
on Mar 24, 2010 at 5:19:58 pm

I'm not seeing a way to animate the position of an endpoint using "trim paths." Is there something I'm missing?

Return to posts index

Matthew Anderson
on Mar 24, 2010 at 5:25:09 pm

This works! It's too bad there isn't a more direct way to go about it... I'd rather have the line as a shape than rely on a "beam" effect to generate it, but it gets the job done. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Michael Heid
on Mar 24, 2010 at 6:03:39 pm

If you are animating a shape like drawing it on, use trim paths. Otherwise animate the path property of the shape and only move the points of the shape you want to move.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]