ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

importing .mov = crash??

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aaron Bear
importing .mov = crash??
on Mar 23, 2010 at 9:04:57 pm

Hey all,

Ive run into this problem that I cant seem to get around. When I try to import a .mov (png or jpeg encoding, ~250 mb) into my project bin, After Effects stop responding and crashes.

The only way Ive been able to import my clip is to convert the .mov clip to a .mov with h.264 or mpeg-4 encoding. Although this works, its compressed and a lot of the color information is lost.

Any ideas?
Thanks in advance!

-Aaron-
"Wherever you go, there you are"

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: importing .mov = crash??
on Mar 23, 2010 at 9:15:56 pm

Well, it's not your footage. PNG or any JPEG codec in quicktime work just fine in AE.
Are you using Open GL? Don't.
Do you have the free AE 9.0.2 upgrade? Get it.
Trying to use multiprocessing with 4GB or less? Turn it off -- you don't have enough RAM.
Made any recent changes to your machine, or get any new software that runs in the background? Check on it.

As a last resort, you could try trashing AE preferences.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Aaron Bear
on Mar 23, 2010 at 9:57:38 pm

Thanks for the quick response. Everything was set to the defaults, I dont usually mess with a lot of the settings. I double checked and multiprocessing was turned off. I tried turning it on and get the same results. Open GL is not enabled. Im running 64 bit with 8 gb of ram so I should be able to handle the clips with ease. Im currently running CS3.
It seems to be importing the clips that crashes AE.

-Aaron-

Return to posts index

Aaron Bear
on Mar 23, 2010 at 10:08:45 pm

I did find a work around. I exported the clip as a png image sequence and it imported just fine into AE. It might be a bit of a pain and an extra set, but at least it works.
Thanks again.

-Aaron-

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 23, 2010 at 10:11:29 pm

Glad you got something to work, but puzzled why the original footage didn't.

Don't forget to interpret the footage: AE defaults to 30fps image sequences, and you probably need 29.97.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Joey Foreman
on Mar 24, 2010 at 5:16:15 am

The only way Ive been able to import my clip is to convert the .mov clip to a .mov with h.264 or mpeg-4 encoding. Although this works, its compressed and a lot of the color information is lost.

You don't ever want to do that. In fact, that's the exact opposite of what you should do.

I hope Dave doesn't mind my referring you Dave's Stock Answer #1 in his own thread.

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, AVCHD, mp4, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

The .png thing is fine, great. You could go tiff too.

I'm a fan of the tiff.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]