ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Tracking data keeps moving layer's start point!

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean Worsell
Tracking data keeps moving layer's start point!
on Mar 23, 2010 at 7:36:06 am

I have two layers visible at the same time (both are scaled down so they are side-by-side). And I track the motion in the left-hand layer to apply it to the right-hand layer, so the right hand one moves in tandem with the imagery in the left hand one.

But one problem I cant' figure out--when I apply the tracking info to the right-hand layer, it immediately moves the entire layer over top of the first layer (but offset...centred on first track point maybe?) before it applies the re-positioning. Then it moves fine, in tandem with left-hand layer. But I don't want it moved over. I want it to stay right where it is when the tracking is applied.

Any thoughts about what I'm doing wrong / what's happening?

Return to posts index

Bartek Skorupa
Re: Tracking data keeps moving layer's start point!
on Mar 23, 2010 at 7:59:31 am

First issue:
You scaled down the layer that you used as a tracking data source. Tracking is done using the layer itself and doesn't respect it's scale.
Solution:
precompose the source layer, and track this composition

Second issue:
Applying the tracking data to the destination layer moves it to the position of the track. That's how it works.
Solution:
Add the null layer. Apply the tracking data to this null. Parent your destination layer to this null.

voila

Bartek Skorupa
Warszawa, Poland

Return to posts index

Sean Worsell
Re: Tracking data keeps moving layer's start point!
on Mar 23, 2010 at 8:26:50 am

Wow, you are darned good. That's amazing advice! Thanks for being so quick too. Gotta love the Cow eh?

cheers.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]