ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

After Effects Rendering Problem

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Levi Hayden
After Effects Rendering Problem
on Mar 22, 2010 at 8:28:49 pm

Hey everyone,

I am using AE CS4 and I'm trying to render some video with transparency by using the Keylight 1.2 effect. However, whenever it renders, it is really laggy and jumpy. I have no clue how to make it stop doing this.

PC Specs:
2.13Ghzx2 Core 2 Duo
4 GB Ram
7200 Rpm Hard Drive (I believe that's the speed)
9800M GS GPU
Win7 64bit

Thanks in advance!
~LH

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: After Effects Rendering Problem
on Mar 22, 2010 at 9:23:56 pm

Why doesn't anyone read the threads? Common causes for AE woes have only only been covered a bazillion times, that's all!

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, AVCHD, mp4, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Levi Hayden
on Mar 23, 2010 at 1:54:12 am

Okay, so I am using AVCHD footage, what's the best way to convert it without losing a lot of quality?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 23, 2010 at 3:12:36 pm

Okay, since I'm a Mac guy, I'll talk about Macs. Maybe some of this will help.

You can export out of FCP or Compressor -- shot by shot, or the entire edit timeline if you wish -- in a lossless codec like Animation or PNG, using the same codecs to render in AE. Automatic Duck won't help because it points to the original footage.

Even better would be to do it at Log & Capture or Log & Transfer, because you could then go to ProRes and also use The Duck; rendering in AE could also be in ProRes for realtime playback.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Joey Foreman
on Mar 23, 2010 at 9:20:22 pm

I'm a Mac guy too, but I'm pretty sure you need a 3rd party transcoding app, like the one detailed here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AVS_Video_Converter

That Wikipedia page lists several competitors' products as well, so you can comparison shop.

Most seem to fall in the $10 to $50 range.

With enough research, you might be able to track down an Open Source technology for this.

Any p.c, Sony-using AE'rs out there help this fellow out?

Return to posts index

efraim or
on Mar 24, 2010 at 4:27:54 pm

"eight processor cores and a 64-bit operating system, you would have 32GB of RAM"

I thought that the max cores in cpu was 4, no? the 6 cores cpu still on development. and 32GB RAM?

no one can have it. I dont get it. even the new intel i7 got "only" 4 cores. so what is he talking about?

anyway, I got win7 64 bit, 8gb ram, and intel Quad Q9450.
I think i can try the multiprocessing.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 24, 2010 at 4:31:05 pm

[efraim or] "even the new intel i7 got "only" 4 cores. so what is he talking about? "

He's talking about DUAL quad-core machines. They exist. In fact, my Mac Pro here at work is a dual quad core.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]