ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Importing and exporting RED

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hannes Paulsson
Importing and exporting RED
on Mar 22, 2010 at 7:26:40 pm

Hi!

So, I have worked with RED material in After Effects a couple of times by now, but every time I do so, I feel that I'm guessin a bit too much. But this time I really want to know that I'm doing everything like I'm supposed to do it.

First of all, importing the footage. I import the .r3d-s without any problems. But when i look at it in AE, it looks pale and bright. Normally I just go to interpret footage and choose "Preseve RGB" under colormanagement. That seems to make it look like it's supposed to.
But is this the right way to do it?
And when it comes to the exporting I'm even more lost, normally I would just try some different color profiles 'till I find something that looks somewhat right.

So I guess I have these questions;

The "color settings" in the main project settings?

interpert footage>color management for the individual footage?

Am I supposed to use the "simulate output"-setting? If so, what settings?

When I export, what setting should I use? What color profiles? And what format do you recommend?

I'm supposed to do some compositing, and my finished work will go to color grading when I'm done.

(English isn't my first language, so if I don't make sense, please tell me and I'll try to clarify.)

All the best
/Hannes Paulsson

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
Re: Importing and exporting RED
on Mar 22, 2010 at 9:18:37 pm

I answer your questions about importing and interpreting RED footage toward the bottom of this page.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Hannes Paulsson
on Mar 23, 2010 at 10:32:13 am

Awesome, thank you very much Todd!
Is there anyone who could help me with the exporting?

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Mar 23, 2010 at 12:54:54 pm

It seems that your questions aren't about RED specifically, but are about color management in general. I strongly recommend that you read through this chapter of After Effects Help. You might want to start by reading and watching the materials listed here.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]